What's new

US Coin comeback?

On the way home this evening I stopped at a convenience store for a cup of coffee. Damage, 1.29USD. I gave the clerk a twenty and he made my change. Wait a minute, he only handed my 14 in paper currency, and I pointed out the mistake. Turns out I was mistaken since he had given me four one dollar coins. Now in my 30 years I think I have seen one of these, and most people I know have never seen them. Now in a 10 second period I was holding four. The clerk showed me his drawer which had quite a lot of them, more than dollar bills. He also pointed out that his company had put out a training bulletin about the coins and a speculation that these would be the norm and the dollar bill the rarity. Is the US going to be more coin based? 5 dollar coin, 10??? Is Saddleback going to have to make a coin pouch?

I do not think the dollar bill will be making an exit. The US government has tried to get people to use the coin, but with little success. I work part time at a movie theatre, and out of the thousands of customers who pay in cash, only two or three have ever used the dollar coin.

Either way, cash is dead in the US. I do not think such as change can take place at a time where most people use plastic.

As one who bought 5¢ candy bars and 10¢ sodas, who once worked for 85¢ an hour (selling 10¢ cups of coffee), then went into the military with $135 a month base pay, then bought a brand new 1973 Super Beetle for $2,249, I believe today's currency is worth at least 10 times less than it used to be. It's time to move the decimal point to the left one position in US money everywhere.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don't think he just handed you the coins. I believe the proper term is he "unloaded" them.

Tighten your belts and be ready to carry muck more change. Up in Canada we have a $1 and $2 coins, along the with the other standard coins, adds a bit of weight to your pockets.

Tighten your belts and be ready to carry muck more change. Up in Canada we have a $1 and $2 coins, along the with the other standard coins, adds a bit of weight to your pockets.

And also a nice surprise when your wallet is empty, but that pocket full of change turns out to be over $20 :thumbup:

Our £1 notes were withdrawn in 1988 and we've had pound coins since. They certainly can get a bit heavy in the pocket. These days they are almost small change!

The more recent £2 coins are even heavier.

I've had a small leather coin purse for years!

Somebody once suggested bring out a 99p coin as so many shops sell things a £1.99, £2.99 and so on!

Gareth

proxy.php

How about a pocket full of these?

I think the failure of the $1 coin is the size. The treasury continues to insist in making the darn thing too close to the size of the quarter! I hate the darn things and when I get one, I get rid of it as soon as I can.

Funny, I rarely see 50 cent pieces any more, perhaps because of its size as well.

I have enough stuff to keep my pockets full (keys -- two sets, cell phone, pocket knife, wallet) so whenever I get change it goes into my change jar as soon as I get home. Since I never do anything with that money it is essentially a loss. I try to minimize this by using a credit card for even small purchases and using the change for tips when possible.

$1 coins will make things worse. They are big and heavy making them even more of an annoyance but worth enough that I don't think I want to simply toss them in to the bottomless void of my change jar.

Strangely, when I go to the States I get annoyed by all the $1 bills that I end up with.

I've gotten really used to the Loonies and Toonies. They are easy to tell apart from other coins and really don't cause that much hassle.. Just means I need to carry fewer bigger coins instead of a bunch of quarters.

The Treasury Department would very much like to drop the dollar note in favor of a coin for cost saving reasons. The paper note lasts for 18 months in circulation while the coin can easily last for decades.

I hate getting those $1 coins. I sure hope they don't bring out coins instead of bills. What's the US doing now? Trying to bring back the ugly fad of fannypacks to carry the coins? :bored:

I don't think he just handed you the coins. I believe the proper term is he "unloaded" them.

:yesnod: I recently got a dollar coin from a machine in change, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I hate carrying around coins and end up collecting all my change to deposit at the bank rather than cart it around with me.

Dollar coins are just silly... anyone remember the first recent comeback? They were supposed to be hex or octoganal shaped and silver (colored), but that was deemed too expensive. So, what did we get? A dollar that looks like a quarter. Brilliant.

I think the failure of the $1 coin is the size. The treasury continues to insist in making the darn thing too close to the size of the quarter! I hate the darn things and when I get one, I get rid of it as soon as I can.

Funny, I rarely see 50 cent pieces any more, perhaps because of its size as well.

and the quarter is close in size to the nickel.

that is an insufficient argument.

The bill will die sooner than you think. The US Treasury is looking to the success of dollar coins in other countries. Cheaper to make and maintain. Easier for vending machines and automated bus fare.

As far as having too many in your pocket, there is also a reality check. Are you usally in the custom of having 10 or 15 $1 bills in your pocket? Most people don't. So that argument is a wash.

Some people just do not like things to change and want them to stay that way forever. Dollar coins will replace bills completely.

Top Bottom