What's new

Single ring Old types: Silver or nickel?

I'm assuming the single ring Old types were nickel plated considering how I just ruined the finish on my 1910 single ring. I swear it looked just like tarnished silver.. so I did the baking soda/aluminum foil trick. Horrible horrible horrible. I knew I should have left it well enough alone and left the patina on it but noooooooo, I had to be a dumb ***!

So is it nickel?

The Single Rings are silver plated. Actually triple silver plated.

The first nickel plated Gillette's, that I know of, were the WWI Bulldog and the military ball end pocket razors.

Neither the silver nor the nickel plated razors should be affected by the baking soda treatment.

Len

Last edited:
The Single Rings are silver plated. Actually triple silver plated.

The first nickel plated Gillette's, that I know of, were the WWI Bulldog and the military ball end pocket razors.

Len

Hmm. And here I thought I was crazy thinking it looked like tarnished silver. So why'd the finish go to hell?? I'll post pics in a sec.

Hmm. And here I thought I was crazy thinking it looked like tarnished silver. So why'd the finish go to hell?? I'll post pics in a sec.

Please post a picture. It shouldn't happen. I have used the baking soda/aluminum foil treatment on a few silver plated razors with only good results.

Len

This is what it looked like before:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wow, I wouldn't have expected to see that. I am almost certain that that one has to be (originally?) silver plated. They were still silver plating when they released the new improved style, and that is definitely an old. Maybe change the aluminum foil (seems it can become "saturated"?) and try a few more times?

I bet it'll get better... if not, send it to me and I'll send it back looking more like this:
Nothing special really, just some steel wool, followed by a buffing wheel with rubbing/polishing compound. This pic doesn't doesn't do it justice. It's basically halfway between gold and silver (color wise) and 95% as shiny.

It's had 6 soaks in the aluminum foil/baking soda method changing out the foil for soaks 3 and 5. Also has had 3 soaks and toothbrush scrubs in scrubbing bubbles.

I've got it back in another baking soda soak right this minute. Can't hurt it any worse now....

Well, it's been through 4 more baking soda/foil soaks, a boil in scrubbing bubbles, 2 more soaks in scrubbing bubbles.. and it's only gotten slightly better. Most of the black spots on the head cap are gone but it's still got this thick, rough, hard film. Nothing I have in supplies will budge it anymore. I guess nothing left to do now but have it replated, which I've yet in a couple months of searching have been able to find anyone around here that can or will do it.

Well, it's been through 4 more baking soda/foil soaks, a boil in scrubbing bubbles, 2 more soaks in scrubbing bubbles.. and it's only gotten slightly better. Most of the black spots on the head cap are gone but it's still got this thick, rough, hard film. Nothing I have in supplies will budge it anymore. I guess nothing left to do now but have it replated, which I've yet in a couple months of searching have been able to find anyone around here that can or will do it.

What do you mean by a boil in Scrubbing Bubbles? That's a bad idea and can remove the plating.

Len

What do you mean by a boil in Scrubbing Bubbles? That's a bad idea and can remove the plating.

Len

Well, it didn't do any more damage. I got some of the film to scrape away with my thumbnail and can see shiny silver under it. Just don't know why no cleaner or method I've used will remove that film that's coated the whole razor. Is it lacquer?

These are the things that terrify me about doing anything besides shaving with my razors! Good luck Gents, if it were mine I'd send it to Iakona and have him work his magic instead of plating. That is very nice looking.

Mike

If it's a film on there, hit it with some maas. The silver has to still be under there. Some *mild* elbow grease and some maas should fix it right up.

Top Bottom