What's new

Need some advise

I may be asking a very dumb question here but, I would like to know if there are any ways to make a goatee grow longer and tips or tricks to keep it stright???!!!. I just started using a DE about 3 months ago and love it!!! Thanks to my Bro for getting me on for my B-day.

I have had it long in the past but is was kinda bushy long, but not that long and I have issuses keeping it stright so that impeeds the growth. When it gets uneven I take it down to about 1/4'' and start over. In the past I have used a brush and brushed every so often from my lower lip down. Just recently I have started using conditioner every day in the shower.

At the present time I have just knocked it down to 1/4'' and I'll be wating about a week before I shave again.

Any advise would be great!!!

First off it's just gonna grow the same speed your regular hair (on your head) grows. Regardless how often you cut, wash, and condition it.

Secondly a 1/4 of an inch is really short if you are trying to grow it out. Mine gets long in 2 to 3 weeks, I say that loosely because my definition of long means its time to cut it. Long is around 3-4 inches max. Thats a bushy gotee, mine doesn't grow straight it kinda curves. The hair right below my lower lip stays the longest and straightest at 2-3 inches all the time, never hanging over my chin. I do it for the heck of it because you can never tell, I move it out of the way when clipping it. There is no way I know to make it straight(er) than how it naturally grows. The only tip i have: the shorter it is the straighter is appears. Hope some of this helps.

6Jetwrangler,

Thanks for the reply!!!.....

I agree 1/4'' is very short, when I'm talking about having a long goatee. In the past I have had lengths around 4-5''. I know that the hair will grow how it wants too and at the 4-5 inches I was happy with that length.

When I say stright, what I'm talking about is the sides of the goatee, where the hair goes from the side of my mouth down, or south of my mouth at the sides. For some reason the right side of the goatee spreads further towards my cheek. On the left side of the goatee it's just the oppsite.

I can say I'm still learning DE technique, but even whe I used my old mach3 I would have this issue!! When the goatee is short I have no problem keeping the sides stright, it's when the goatee starts to get longer I have these issues with keeping the sides stright.

That is a clippers issue. I do have some tips and tricks for that.

One thing to remember is to clip it and shape it at the same time. IE: when you cut it back short or trim it, shape it. It is easier because all the hairs are shorter. The longer the hair the harder to decipher the edges. Lining it out is (I think) what it is called. You can use a comb to help keep your lines straight. Depending on how far you want it to spread. I usually put the comb end at the tip of my mouth and hold it straight down. Buzz the side and then trim as needed. It is an art I'll give you that. The same can be done when the gotee is long. All you are doing is containing it. After you do it a couple of times you can do it by sight. A DE is only good for shaving around and keeping it from spreading by shaving the small hairs around the gotee. Hope this further helps. We weren't allowed to have facial hair in HS but I have had a gotee ever since. Thats been quite some time ago. Another suggestion is to get your barber/stylist to trim it when you get a haircut, watch their technique thats where mine came from.

Top Bottom