What's new

Top shelf Vs Low cost

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
After my reviews “Acqua di Parma, Collezione Barbiere”, “Crema da Barba Santa Maria Novella” and “Castle Forbes Lime Essential Oil”, I received several private messages by B&B members, who asked me a lot of things about these gems and about top quality, luxurious and expensive shaving creams in general.
Maybe because I am Italian, but a lot of info/opinions were asked on top shelf shaving products “made in Italy”.
Most of these members are new to wet shaving and I think some of them are going in the wrong direction.
Some, in fact, tend to associate high priced products with better quality and with a “superior” shave and tend to associate low cost items with inferior quality and, therefore, with a bad shave.
Wrong, absolutely wrong.
Not necessarily an expensive product delivers a superior shave and not necessarily a cheap product is made with inferior ingredients.
Through the years I tested some expensive creams and soaps that simply do not work for me and selected many low cost products that work perfectly and that I like a lot.
So, the first thing to keep in mind is to get a good shaving technique.
This is something you can learn slowly, step by step, with practice and patience.
Once you get it, you have to personally test creams and soaps and see by yourself if you like that product, if it works well with your skin type and if it is placed in a price range that you consider right or reasonable.
Let me repeat it again: this is something you have to do alone, nobody can really help you here.
Also do not force yourself to like a product simply because it is produced by a top brand or because the “general consensus” on that product is positive, if you have a different opinion.
And do not dislike low cost products simply because they are sold in a small local store or because they do not have a gorgeous packaging, if you like how they perform.
This is what I think and what I learned in years of wet shaving.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's right! :thumbup1:

Products like Proraso are very cheap and work well!

In Oz, I think that Palmolive shaving cream for $2.25 AUD is the best deal locally! High end products are good yes, but a cheaper product sometimes work the same or better. As always, YMMV!

Great post.

Some of the best products out there cost next to nothing. A lot of the expensive stuff is also not as good as the price would lead you to believe.

When you break it down, on a per shave basis, almost anything that isn't canned foam is low cost-high quality. Yes, a soap might cost $20, but it'll still be going strong when the can is rusted under 10 metres of landfill.

I haven't gone truly high end, because even the 3Ts and other good trad. brands here in Aus are at least 25-100% more than elsewhere - and $50-70 for something like Penhaligons soaps and ASBs is just too silly for me to think about. Taylor's is about as classy as it gets for me for performance per $ anyway.

But to reinforce Marco's comments. I've tried quite a range of things, and regardless of price, some just didn't work for me, and some was actually very poor - regardless of the rabid hype they may have got.

I found most of the expensive stuff isn't any better than your everydays like Proraso, Speick, Tabac. Diminishing returns kicks in, as with most things - you simply don't get a linear increases in performance per $ beyond a certain price point. They just cost more, and often smell far more expensive too.

Agreed. So many cheap/ reasonably priced product punch way above their weight. Proraso cream, Euro Palmolive shave stick to name a couple.

I agree 100% Marco.

All to often people base their opinions strictly on price and not how well it works. I like Cella, Proraso among others and they are not expensive.

I'm new to wet shaving and I'm amazed at the amount of hype given to certain products. I was drawn to wet shaving by the idea of saving money, and then I discovered the pleasure of using the badger brush on my face and how close my shave can be.

I have been using Bigelow cream, which is a Proraso product and I like it very much, but I have been very curious about some of the other great products out there. I have been drawn by all of the wonderful reviews to products made in England and Italy, among other places. Being new, I have imagined that these products will give me some level of better performance, but the cost definitely isn't as appealing!

Thanks for bringing some of us new guys back down to earth! It's easy to get excited since there is so little to choose from here in the U.S. Even the stuff that was/is made in the U.S. isn't sold anywhere near where I live.

Thanks again!

I'll give an example of a great American product which is Pinaud Clubman. It's got a ton of fragrance oil in it and that is the key to quality scents. It's well blended as well.

Now people may not like the fragrance or it might be somewhat strong for some, but there is no denying it is a high quality product.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
By the way, here is a list of EXCELLENT low cost shaving brands that I truly love:

Cella,
Valobra,
Proraso,
Italian Floid,
Speick,
La Toja.

An excellent post, and I fully agree. The difference between an extremely expensive high end product, and a budget minded product is not going to be a night, and day difference.

Certainly there will be some detectable differences, but they are unlikely to be earth shattering.

Often times the high cost has little to do with actual performance, and everything to do with paying for the brand name, and paying for a more exotic/ unique scent; this scent may be produced from expensive essential oils.

There are quite a few products out there, that despite their higher price tag, reviews indicate don't deliver on high quality, such as Caswell Masey, and the newer formulation of Pen's soaps.

By the way, here is a list of EXCELLENT low cost shaving brands that I truly love:

Cella,
Valobra,
Proraso,
Italian Floid,
Speick,
La Toja.
Thank you for this!

Much like Strohman, I am new to DE shaving but really enjoying the process of learning - strongly supported by my naturally curious nature.

This is fueling the desire to get out there and pick up a number of different soaps/creams etc. to figure out what works for me and what doesn't. I like the idea of lower cost but effective alternatives as historically I have never been one huge on men's grooming products. More just a means to an end so to speak (have never worn cologne, etc.).

With DE shaving the soaps are both utilitarian as well as fragrant with unique EO etc. so it is a different experience for me personally trying to sift through the options. So many choices and only one face...

Kevin

P.S. along those lines UPS just dropped off some soaps: Muhle Sea Buckthorn, DR Harris Arlington, Proraso and some Omega and TOBS Rose creams. Looking forward to checking 'em out!

I'll second that!
Well put.

I have as much fun with my one and a half dollar Palmolive as with my more expensive creams and soaps.

Isn't that one of the benefits of our favourite pastime?
:thumbsup:

P.S. along those lines UPS just dropped off some soaps: Muhle Sea Buckthorn, DR Harris Arlington, Proraso and some Omega and TOBS Rose creams. Looking forward to checking 'em out!

Wow!
Another Sea Buckthorn addict in the making!
Let us know how you like it!

Top Bottom