What's new

A Well Known Secret? Liquid Glycerin.

And Aloe Vera.
I've been wet shaving for a long time, but never really expanded my horizons until about 5 years ago when AoS came out(for me), and then, of course, B&B.
I have been looking at the Hydrolast stuff but probably won't head down that road for a while, just too involved and expensive.
But one thing I noticed from the videos is the "wetness" of the lather layer, which got me wondering how I could do it on the cheap.
I MAY have found a way.
At the local yuppie-mart I bought a bottle of liquid glycerin, and one of Aloe vera.
With the four soaps I currently have, adding a few drops has drastically improved the way the lather performs.
Even my Co. Conk's Lime, and Bay rum, which supposedly are glycerin soaps, are improved.
What is "improved"?
Without the additions, after I run the razor over my mug, the soap and moisture pretty much is gone. Add just a couple of drops of those two ingredients to the lather however, and a nice layer stays attached to your skin.
This is most pronounced when I am doing what I guess is called "buffing". That's what I liked about the looks of the Method thing, the ability to just buff the rough spots out with no irritation. The moisture layer looks intact, not a property you get from soap.
A bottle of each product is 4-5 bucks, and looks to last until the next war against Germany so the El Cheapo Meter is pegged.
Anybody else been through this?
If not,try it out. Might be an improvement.
Brent.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I haven't tried that yet but I did order glycerin shaving soap from Nana June (see reviews) that contained bendonite clay and it gives a great super slick shave with no skin dryness. Glycerin is great stuff.

I have not tried adding Aloe Vera to my lather, but I do enjoy a good uberlather (soap+cream+glycerin) and it is "wetter" than the usual lather for certain.

I keep meaning to stop and buy some glycerin but for some reason I don't. I have some aloe right here though and use it as a aftershave balm sometimes when my face feels dry. I like it because it feels light and I know it won't clog my pores. I should add some to my super lather and see how it goes.

I always add a drop or two of glycerin whether I am using soap or cream. You are right...it gives it a little more.

Someone told me the other day on here to quit with the glycerin and learn how to make lather. I have been making great lather for over ten years. Glycerin makes it that much better.

I've been using glycerin since I read about it on another thread.
It's pretty cool how it makes your soap/cream more slippery.
A nice low cost addition.

Where do you find it
Look for a grocery store. See if there are hippies and vegetarians in it. If there are, make sure the vegetables cost too damn much. If they do, and there is way too much wine for sale, then Bob's your uncle. Look where they keep the bee pollen and saw palmetto and incense.
So, Nugget here in Kalifornia, Whole Foods, maybe Trader Joes, or any pretentious co-op.
Brent.

Look for a grocery store. See if there are hippies and vegetarians in it. If there are, make sure the vegetables cost too damn much. If they do, and there is way too much wine for sale, then Bob's your uncle. Look where they keep the bee pollen and saw palmetto and incense.
So, Nugget here in Kalifornia, Whole Foods, maybe Trader Joes, or any pretentious co-op.
Brent.

:lol: pharmacies should also carry them both too, and you won't have to wind up smelling like pachouli to get it.

:lol: pharmacies should also carry them both too, and you won't have to wind up smelling like pachouli to get it.
Patchouli or rubbing alcohol...decision, decision :001_tongu

All pharmacies carries it over here.
Also a lot of hobby stores, it's used for preserving flowers & such.

It looks very interesting. Sure I'll try it. :001_smile
I already know that a few drop of glycerine is a good lather improvment. Does a few drop of Aloa vera or glycerine alone is good enough or do you really need to mix both?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Someone recently posted about adding a dollop of "personal lubricant" which is generally glycerine based. You might want to keep it out of sight when company visits, though! "Oh, I use that for shaving!" Uh-huh.... r-r-r-i-i-i-i-ght....

Glycerin can be found in most drug stores. However, it is usually hidden in the first aid section for some reason. So ask a clerk where it can be found. In my area CVS and Walgreens carries it as well as grocery stores such as Publix and natural grocery stores. You can only buy it online at Vitamin Shoppe and Amazon.com.

I put in more than just a few drops (probably I put in about 6 or 7 drops) and the later becomes becomes thick and slick. Works great.

I used to put glycerin in my lather but eventually I stopped the practice because it introduced another variable in creating proper lather.

i got my bottle from wallmart. I've been using it with creams, and so far so good. I've never tried the aloe, though I like the idea of that, I may try it. I wonder if anyone else has?

Glycerine and Aloe gel are the 2 base components of shaving gel. It is a product I have used since the '80s with cartridges, and I can tell you it is a different product to shaving lather.
I happen to still have 2 tubes of very good gel in my cupboard, and there it will stay for some time. I think its important for me to be fully proficient in straight up wetshaving before I introduce any more variables.

I fully intend to experiment later, if for no other reason than my obsessive nature demands that I extract all information on a subject. I think I will try mixes as well as try a DE razor with straight gel.
But, NOT before I've nailed it the way its meant to be.

I reckon I've enough challenges with soaps, creams, sticks and blades, boars and badgers and synthetics...without introducing hybrid experimentation.....well just yet, anyway :tongue_sm

Top Bottom