What's new

Anyone ever mess with one of these?

It's called a Wizard, and I guess it's supposed to turn a DE blade into a straight. I believe it was pat.1924. If any body has fooled around with one of these....what's your impression. It's seems like kind of a neat novelty.:biggrin1:

I open with the statement that I know nothing about this particular item, but I think I saw discussion of something similar a few weeks/maybe a month ago. The send up is that it turned out to be a stropping tool of sorts. I wonder if this is one of the same? Or have you confirmed it via historical reference/original packaging?

Radar will probably settle this definitely.

Based on the design of this device, I do not think it is a shaver. It would simply not work for shaving.

yeah, its a blade stropper. im sure if your technique is good enough though you could probably shave with one :001_smile

Radar nailed it!

If your technique is that good, why bother with the handle?
Just pick up the DE blade with your fingers and shave.

I don't know why I find it surprising, but the application was signed in 1922, granted in 1924. I guess I just figured such things went a little faster back then.

I'm guessing they had to go through everything by hand, and I doubt they had multiple copies of each patent. So you would have to wait until this patent was returned by this clerk and then you got it, but then you were 7th in line to look at this other patent to see if they clashed. And then there is corrections and lawyers, etc... It reminds me of a line I read that for all the advancements in home cleaning technology, people spend about the same amount of time cleaning now than they did 200 years ago. I bet people made a lot of money back then banging out copies of documents on typewriters...

Now you just need its matching brother.. here's my 2:

proxy.php

The T shaped one doesn't have any other markings on it, no patent date, no Made in USA, just the Wizard logo on the one side.

My favourite of this type of thing looked similar to the Wizard but it was made by Smith and Wesson. Yes, the same folks who make guns made one of these blade stroppers.

Top Bottom