What's new

Wilkinson Super Sword Edge

I picked up a bunch of these about 3 months ago in an ebay auction. They're old, made in England. Shaved with one for the first time on Monday morning. It was a delightful shave. (Yes, I know, I was supposed to be starting "two weeks of Souplex", but curiosity got the better of me.)

Is there any way to find out how old they are? Does anyone have any information or experience with these, against which I can gauge my own impressions?

Thanks,
-- Chet

I have used the Super Sword Edge in the past and they are nice blades. They are just a step down from Light Brigades, chromium edge, in terms of smoothness. The package I had looked just like the Light Brigade and Sword Master packages seen below but the card in the blade holder said Super Sword Edge at the bottom.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I'm glad you mentioned Light Brigades, as I was actually looking for those when I found the super swords. I can't remember where I heard (er, read) it, but I recalled that they were said to be very good. My experience has been positive. I'll post a pic of the package when I get home.
Thanks,
-- Chet

Light Brigades are perhaps the best blade Wilkinson Sword ever made, for me they are better than "Swedes".

This has been interesting. I had my 5th shave on the same blade, today, and did two shaves on another one, last week. Today, while there was no tugging, there was a little irritation. I imagine that I could probably push it for a couple more, if I took my time.

It's a very sharp blade, and gives a very smooth shave through one or two days' growth. I like the blade, but I find that it's hard to justify the going market price of these... whatever that is on any given day.

Now for some opinioneering -- and I'm perfectly at peace with anyone telling me I'm full of "it", by the way:

This is the second of four "vintage" blades that I committed to try. The other three are Shick Plus Platinum, Gillette Platinum Plus (metal dispenser) and Gillette Super Stainless "spoilers". Having done the Schicks and the Wilks, I'm becoming skeptical that there's anything terribly remarkable or special about these out-of-production blades when compared with the better offerings in currently-produced blades like Iridium, Timor and Souplex. If I look at what these oldies cost (or -=can=- cost, since they're in the "collectable" realm where price is a function of rarity), the value proposition just doesn't hold up over the longer term, as I see it.

Admittedly, I've got two of the more legendary "vintage" blades to go, and perhaps I'll have a revelation to the contrary, afterwards. I've read too many posts from people who firmly believe that these US- and UK-made blades from the apex of DE blade production are unassailably superior. I don't dismiss these posts as bogus or over-hyped... they are what they are, and I believe that people are giving their honest impression. However, at this point I seem to be coming to a different conclusion.

-- Chet

Now for some opinioneering -- and I'm perfectly at peace with anyone telling me I'm full of "it", by the way:

You're full of it. :wink:

Kidding of course. The old NOS blades were well made and, factoring in cognitive dissonance, they shave do great for most users. I can see many would think they can shave better than today's blades. I used some of the older blades and they do shave very well. However, are they the best ever? I'm not a believer.

This has been interesting. I had my 5th shave on the same blade, today, and did two shaves on another one, last week. Today, while there was no tugging, there was a little irritation. I imagine that I could probably push it for a couple more, if I took my time.

It's a very sharp blade, and gives a very smooth shave through one or two days' growth. I like the blade, but I find that it's hard to justify the going market price of these... whatever that is on any given day.

This is the second of four "vintage" blades that I committed to try. The other three are Shick Plus Platinum, Gillette Platinum Plus (metal dispenser) and Gillette Super Stainless "spoilers". Having done the Schicks and the Wilks, I'm becoming skeptical that there's anything terribly remarkable or special about these out-of-production blades when compared with the better offerings in currently-produced blades like Iridium, Timor and Souplex. If I look at what these oldies cost (or -=can=- cost, since they're in the "collectable" realm where price is a function of rarity), the value proposition just doesn't hold up over the longer term, as I see it.

Admittedly, I've got two of the more legendary "vintage" blades to go, and perhaps I'll have a revelation to the contrary, afterwards. I've read too many posts from people who firmly believe that these US- and UK-made blades from the apex of DE blade production are unassailably superior. I don't dismiss these posts as bogus or over-hyped... they are what they are, and I believe that people are giving their honest impression. However, at this point I seem to be coming to a different conclusion.

-- Chet

I can agree with that. Vintage blades are great blades, and ive tried all of them. But i havnt found a single one that noticeably better than current production iridiums or 7 0'clocks. IMO vintage blades are overhyped.

I can agree with that. Vintage blades are great blades, and ive tried all of them. But i havnt found a single one that noticeably better than current production iridiums or 7 0'clocks. IMO vintage blades are overhyped.

Of course, YMMV applies to all opinions about blade performance. But, I just tried an old Gillette Platinum Plus last week and I thought it justified all of the vintage bade hype. I didn't find it as sharp as an iridium or 7 O'clock. But it was super smooth and it lasted forever (8 days vs. my usual 3 or 4). I do, however, agree that the value equation for vintage blades does not make sense (at least for me). If you pick up most of the well thought of vintage blades from Fleabay, you'll end up paying $1 per blade, whereas you can get iridiums for as low as $.25. The vintage ones are not 4 times better than Iridiums. But, if I can find them cheap, I'll buy as many as I can get my hands on.

Top Bottom