What's new

Shaving Bumps/pimples on neck

I got them only on my neck. I use clearasil twice a day to clean face and neck. I use a three pass shave. WTG, XTG, ATG.

Advice?

I got them only on my neck. I use clearasil twice a day to clean face and neck. I use a three pass shave. WTG, XTG, ATG.

Advice?

Overkill. Too much shaving for your face right now. To the extent the Clearasil may be drying your skin, it could be making matters worse.

Personally, I would go with only WTC until your face adjusted to this. If possible, take a break for a day or two. Make sure your face is prepared and lathered well, and you don't need a lot of pressure. My two cents.

Last edited:
Overkill. Too much shaving for your face right now. To the extent the Clearasil may be drying your skin, it could be making matters worse.

Personally, I would go with only WTC until your face adjusted to this. My two cents.

Thanks for your quick advice!

My face can handle the three pass easily and it gets very smooth and nice. I will only shave my neck WTG sparingly. My neck looks like it got hit with bird shot. :blink:

Last edited:
I have had the same thing happen to me. I have a heavy beard, but my skin is sensitive particularly on the neck. Sometimes it's a dull blade that causes it or I'm not paying attention and I use too much pressure, sometimes my neck just gets cantankerous, and I just have to give it a day off.

I have had the same thing happen to me. I have a heavy beard, but my skin is sensitive particularly on the neck. Sometimes it's a dull blade that causes it or I'm not paying attention and I use too much pressure, sometimes my neck just gets cantankerous, and I just have to give it a day off.

+1. . For me, the most sensitive area is my neck. I have hairs growing in every direction on my neck and very sensitive skin there.

In addition, to preparation, blade angle, and no pressure, what I do after shaving is important. First, I soak my face in cold water. Next comes a splash of Thayers' Rose Petal witch hazel which I gently massage onto my face. Almost immediately I feel relief. After a few minutes I follow it up with a skin moisturizer if my skin is still irritated. GFT has some good products (Coral Skin Food and Extract of Lime Skin Food). I also use a moisturizer my wife uses. It contains Hyaluronic Acid which holds 1,000X its weight in water and is very soothing. The product I use is expensive but lasts a very long time.

The result is that any bumps or irritation disappear.

+1. . For me, the most sensitive area is my neck. I have hairs growing in every direction on my neck and very sensitive skin there.

In addition, to preparation, blade angle, and no pressure, what I do after shaving is important. First, I soak my face in cold water. Next comes a splash of Thayers' Rose Petal witch hazel which I gently massage onto my face. Almost immediately I feel relief. After a few minutes I follow it up with a skin moisturizer if my skin is still irritated. GFT has some good products (Coral Skin Food and Extract of Lime Skin Food). I also use a moisturizer my wife uses. It contains Hyaluronic Acid which holds 1,000X its weight in water and is very soothing. The product I use is expensive but lasts a very long time.

+1 I have also found that cold water helps my neck. I can almost feel when my neck skin is going to act up. Also, when I first came to this site, I was not a balm guy. In fact I rarely used splashes either.

However, I've learned that some kind of balm or such is good for my neck at times, even in this Summer weather. I'll put a splash of my AS, let it dry and then put some kind of balm/lotion on my neck. I personally use Shave Secret as a balm (instead of for shaving).

OR I am also one of these old buzzards that actually likes the smell of Afta. Kind of leathery spicy. And I'll use it as a balm/lotion and it works and suprisingly does not conflict that much with a lot of AS. It heals the neck well also.

I do two passes. 1 xtg and the other a mix of xtg and atg depending on the area. I never aim for a BBS shave but a DFS which I get. I find I can shave faster with less irritation and since I have every day or every second day its perfect.

The bumps on my neck are basically gone and I find alum really helps if you leave it on for a minute and then wash it off.

+1 Once you get your equipment and products down, then the equipment itself becomes ready to hand, it actually withdraws and you are in to pure shaving as an experience. Just like a hammer in the hands of a master carpenter, the hammer disappears. I learned how to shave from Heidegger is what I'm saying. :w00t: (Sorry I couldn't resist getting philosophical over this as philosophy was one of my majors as well).

Last edited:
It's tough to give info without knowing your exact routine.

Your neck is getting irritated from something. It may be your prep, it may be that you've got dry skin, and it may also be that you're dragging a sharp piece of metal over it 3 times.

The first thing I would do is cut down to a 2 pass and see how that treats you.

If you get irritation when you shave there just use a styptic pencil all over the area and it will reduce the bumps. I know people here like to only use the pencil on specifically visible bleeding spots but I found it to work really well by rubbing it on razor burn areas.
Also, if you feel any burn while youre shaving, immediately call it quits in that area. Readjust your approach the next time you shave because that area has had enough for one day.

What razor/blade combo do you use?
I suffered the same problem for a long time until I started using Feather blades, then the problem disappeared.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

+1

Witch Hazel is an amazing product. Some AS have some.

Top Bottom