What's new

Vendor Tea preferences?

Which vendors do y'all think are the best for green, oolong and red(black) teas? Best tea for the price and that kind of thing. Also is there a vendor that has the best tea regardless of price. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
Robert

Plus you can get sample sizes of any of their teas. This allows for the tasting of several different varieties without having to spend a fortune and without having to buy a sampler pack that's been pre made.

Teaspring and Jing Tea Shop are best for Chinese reds and greens. Lochan for cheap subcontinent and Tea Emporium for expensive darjeelings. Expensive Assams are tricky to find at good values. Camellia Sinesis out of Montreal is the high grade Uptons/Special Teas. Think I will stop there.

Hmm. I haven't sampled too many vendors, TBH, but I do love the selection which Upton Tea Imports has. I'm curious to see what other people recommend.

+1. I've been buying tea on-line for more than a decade and have settled on Upton as my primary supplier. They have a great selection and their prices are very competitive.

For Chinese greens - Tea Spring or Jing Tea Shop. Toki/Tim/TheMandarinsTeaRoom mentioned Red Circle Teas if you want the real deal long jing, it's not cheap at $160 an ounce.

For Japanese greens O-Cha or Ippodo are pretty safe bets.

For Chinese oolongs it's tough to beat Jing and Hou De. Stéphane at Tea Masters is a good bet for Taiwanese oolongs imo.

Most of the above deliver nice red tea too.

Adagio is a good all rounder too, especially since they introduced the 'masters' range.

I'd agree with Shah8 about Lochan. They also do a lot of tasting events via their facebook account which is great for acquainting yourself with Indian teas at a fairly modest sum.

Also is there a vendor that has the best tea regardless of price.

The Mandarin's Tearoom. Some of Nada's teas.

If price is of no concern click here. They don't even bother listing the prices in this section of the site. These are pre 1949, they stop listing prices after the 1975 cake at $26,000.

Last edited:
Top Bottom