Thread: Art of Shaving Barber Shop...Have U Been?

Default Art of Shaving Barber Shop...Have U Been?

My wife saw that AoS is opening a store in Charlotte. We take a long weekend at each of our birthdays just to get away and do something out of the ordinary.
    She asked if I wanted to go to Charlotte for her b'day. She could get a spa day at Ballentyne and I could go to AoS for a royal shave and cut.

Have any of you ever been to an AoS barber? How was the shave and the cut? Would you recommend it to someone? I know each barber would be different, but I would hope someone who sets themselves up to be the ultimate in men's care would be good at any location.

What do you think?

i recommend it for the pampering effect, but for a shave, I would pass.
    Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-9
    Proud member of the Great Eagle Group Buy of 2010
    I Survived the Great Migration 06/2011
    Enjoyed the Forum Update 2013
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence." Vince Lombardi

I "discovered" AoS right before I moved (to Germany). I am cheap and usually not willing to pay $40+ for a haircut. However, I got my last haircut in the U.S. at AoS and I was really, really pleased with it. If I wasn't moving away I absolutely would have kept going there for haircuts. It was absolutely worth twice what I normally pay (which has generally not been my experience with fancy and/or expensive hairdressers).

I got my first (and only, so far) straight razor shave there a week before as I little birthday treat to myself. The guy used a straight and the latest vibrating Fusion with a flashlight, smoke detector, and Internet access. My face was BBS against the grain in all directions (something I can't get at home), but was on fire pretty much immediately. Afterwards, I was broken out so badly I couldn't shave for 3-4 days.

So, YMMV, but I would definitely recommend AoS for a haircut, but "proceed with caution" if you're thinking about getting a shave. I also think the shop itself is very nice, but I find their prices obscene and so refuse to buy anything there...

GS