What's new

Shaving Neck Line

Good morning.

I still find that shaving my neckline ATG is tricky unless I have multiple days growth. Brand new blades even seem to snag and pull....leaving behind weepers.

Hot shower prep, even hot toweled last night after the hot shower...still have problems shaving ATG on my neck line.

It's difficult but it's not impossible to ATG shave the neck area. Tilt your chin up and out to create a flat, taut shaving area. This should help in many cases, but there is no guarantees as each neck is different.

There was a Mantic video that talked about using a J-hook type of motion. I think it was one of his advanced videos. To the sides of my adam's apple right below my jawline I use this J-hook maneuver to get a fairly close shave on my neck.

Granted I'm no expert since I'm on my 9th DE shave, but I am pleased with the results.

--Chris

I was referring to the bottom of my neck...below the adam's apple.

Unless I let the whsikers get longer it seems like the razor/blade snags those whiskers. Regardless of prep.

Any thoughts? Maybe a shave oil? I just purchased a water softner system...should be operational this week. Hopefully that will help.

That is the single most difficult aria for me as well. My beard radically changes direction in it's growth at the bottom of the neck. Carefully mapping that growth went a long way towards solving that problem. Wearing a collared shirt and tie can exacerbate any irritation so figure out how to get presentable and comfortable shaves in that aria before shooting for BBS.

I also have the most problems right below my adam's apple. You'll want to really pay attention to hair growth. I cannot go ATG in that area..I can barely do a XTG without getting irritation. As always, pressure and angle are super critical in this spot.

For me I had to learn to live with the stubble. I have found that a preshave oil helps though.

Not to be flip, but my first thought was "so don't shave ATG on your neck."
Forcing ATG if you're not ready for it is a recipe for disaster, learn to love whatever shave you can.

...I have to get a BBS on every shave. That's just me.

It's weird how I can shave ATG on my lower neck when I have multiple days growth. Zero prep needed then.

...I have to get a BBS on every shave. That's just me.

It's weird how I can shave ATG on my lower neck when I have multiple days growth. Zero prep needed then.

First you can't force a shave, if you over work an aria obsessively searching for perfection you're just going to cause more irritation. You're going to have to let it go and do a little better on the next shave if you want to reliably get close comfortable shaves. Irritation compounds itself so you're going to end up shaving in fits and starts if you don't.

Second I think you're getting the best shaves after a couple days growth because your skin as had time to heal and isn't as sensitive as it is after a shave. Good prep has a compound effect as it not only improves the quality of the immediate shave, but in protecting the skin you wont need any recovery days. I think you might be getting very minor tissue damage on the first day which increases with each passing shave. So prep for every shave. Also find a good post shave that works for you something that promotes healing and minimizes inflammation will make you you feel much more comfortable and reduce the need for a recovery period between shaves. And use it every day following your shave.

If your noticing pulling and your confident in your angle and the direction of hair growth, try a sharper blade. I have a coarse, dense beard and some of the more gentle blades just pull on me.

I was referring to the bottom of my neck...below the adam's apple.

Unless I let the whsikers get longer it seems like the razor/blade snags those whiskers. Regardless of prep.

Any thoughts? Maybe a shave oil? I just purchased a water softner system...should be operational this week. Hopefully that will help.

That's what I thought you meant. I go across the grain at the top to the neck but do not do this at the very bottom of the neck because it is so delicate.

As always...such a valued response.

I apologize if the smilie didn't sufficiently convey the fact that I was joking. :tongue_sm

I was more trying to convey that if your approach to shaving is giving you bad results, you either need to adjust your approach or learn to live with the bad results. Chasing BBS for the sake of BBS is going to chew you up more often than not, while learning to accept the best shave you can get without irritation will often surprise you with unexpected jumps in shave quality.

try ex-foliating using a good course scrub with loads of glycerin as a main ingredient. i think its the best shaving secret.

Despite my recent post, i do find letting my stubble soak in a pre shave oil for a few mins prior to shave helps the razor glide.

i will second the advice with regards to razor pressure. I lift my adams apple to get under it...with care!

Two suggestions -- first, make a final (not first) pass with a shaving oil. Second, try shaving before a shower. I find it's easier to get beard on my neck when the hair is a bit stiff.

Top Bottom