What's new

What do you collect aside from razors, and why?

I collect 19th Century telescopes and have recently started looking at pocket watches after buying a 19th Century model. I suppose I should prefer to use a straight razor given my interest in the 18th and 19th Centuries, but I think I'll stick to my safeties. I also collect Anglo Saxon artefacts (keys, buckles, arrow heads - anything that sparks my interest).

I like anything that is well-made and built to last. Aside from certain electrical equipment, I prefer to buy something that I won't have to replace a few years later. Perhaps it's an anti-consumerist trait on my part, but if it's made of plastic or over-engineered to any degree then there is a safe chance that I won't want it.

A similar thing goes for my choice in food and drink - if it's processed or pasteurised then it just isn't as good in my view. A freshly cooked curry with a pint of real ale is better than a microwave meal and a can of lager :001_smile

Oh - and I don't own a microwave oven :tongue_sm

I collect absolutely everything. I believe collection bug is in you or it isnt, and if you have it there is nothing you can do. As for what I collect:

1- Comics. Have been reading (and collecting) for a bit above 10 years now.

2- Shoes. I cut down on the shoe collection in recent years since nothing was catching my eyes anymore. It is not over though, it is just dormant.

3- Alan Moore. The man is a prolific writer (mainly comic books) and I avidly collects everything he has written.

3- Alan Moore.
So, exactly how many Alan Moores have you collected?:lol:

I collect fiction books (text-only and comics) and fountain pens. I collect them because I enjoy them thoroughly which means that a) I can't decide on just one and b) It's something I hope my children might enjoy in the future.

I collect wood pencils. I especially like to collect advertising and souvenir pencils from the past. Many, many varieties and a bit of quaint history. Like straight/DE/SE razors, another technology that much of the world has moved beyond with supposed "improved" technologies - I write this as I sniff the fragrance of the aromatic oils of the incense cedar emanating from my freshly shaved, beautifully painted California Republic wood case pencil.....

Wow, this thread is taylored specifically for me! :001_smile

I collect:
Watches
Pens
First Edition Books
Books of quotes
Ties
Musical Instruments

Unfortunately for my wife I am now getting into Classic Shaving, and will probably be collecting vintage razors too.

Mike

I always purchase a golf ball with the logo from each golf course I play for the first time.

I think I have 85-90 golf balls in my collection.

I don't like to admit it often but I could easily become one of those people on TV who don't have any room left because they horde stuff. I have limited myslef to collecting a few things and have become militant about getting rid of others before I start hording. Here is what I have so far:

Coins - specifically silver dollars. My grandmother got me started by giving them to me. Her brother gave them to her, apparently he worked on the alaska pipeline and was paid in silver dollars.

PA fishing license pins - I just like the old ones where the license was a pin.

Books - I have always loved them. Also, some people are dumb enough to think you are smart because you read so much. Now I have a nook so I am thinking of narrowing down my scope.

Hockey pucks - when I go to an arena for the first time I always get a puck, no matter what level of hockey it is.

I also have a display collection of european razor blades. They were on dbay for $2 shipped. The frame cost $12 so I have a nice display for less than $15.

Last edited:
From my earlier post, I forgot to add cologne and shot glasses. I have shelves full of shot glasses. I started to collect them from each place that I have traveled to beginning on my honeymoon.

Oh Boy....I have collected things since I was a teenager, and my mother is convinced that I have a touch of OCD about it. I collect whatever strikes my fancy at the current time, but I have collected in the past...

1) Embroidered patches ( military, police etc )

2) Comic books

3) Soda bottles, and other antique glassware

4) Vintage advertising, signs, paper ads, vintage fruit crate labels

5) Militaria ( from uniforms, helmets, medals, trench art, bayonets etc.)

6) Books, literature or otherwise relating to any of the subjects above

Why? well I guess the short answer is a keen interest in history, and the association with holding something from a bygone era in your hand. As far as the beer steins, a nod to my German heritage, and the militaria, in homage to Both Grandfathers, and my Dad, and father in law, who are all Veterans.....I'd thought at one time that I'd be as well, but it didn't work out that way for me.

I also have a lot of other items that if I own two or less, I don't yet define it as a collection.....:biggrin:

Does that dust not get in the way when you shave? :001_huh:

:lol: :biggrin:

That's use number 1 for those brushes we all have. :001_smile

I have a strong tendency to collect things, but I've been pretty good about cutting all my collections down to the things I like most and/or use.

I have collected:

Wall art (mostly photography, but some metal art and paintings too)
Other art (pottery, sculptures, lathe turned wooden bowls, etc.)
Music
Musical instruments
Fountain pens
Pocket knives
A few tobacco pipes
Shaving brushes and shaving soaps
Coins from countries I visit (I just bring home a little pocket change)
Beer bottle caps from beers I've drank. (I swear I'll find an actual use for these one day. I've been thinking about building a table that's basically a very shallow box, fill it with bottle caps all side by side and logos facing up, then cover with plate glass.)
Beer coasters from pubs I've visited all over the world.

-Andy

Last edited:
Top Bottom