What's new

who's actually saving money DE shaving?

personally i've spent next to nothing on Shaving compared to cartridge days.

I buy 100 packs of razorblades for 15 bucks and pucks of tripple milled soap that last. I've had the same bottle of aramis aftershave for two years and it's still half full. aside from the start up cost - 30 bucks for a merkur, and 30 for a brush. i havent spent much at all for 2010.

Anyone else out there looking to reduce costs in every thing these days? o btw, just got done changing my oil. costs me 15 bucks, for penzoil and an STP filter. I was cleaning out the used oil containers to take to recycling tomarow and see that i've done 6 so far. since i dont use bulk oil "ASE" putting name brand cleaning agent stuff in my car would run me 25 an oil change from my mechanic. or allmost 60 at a jiffy lube.

allways looking for a way to reduce my overhead. more money left over to go out an enjoy doing things, right?

I try to rationalize my AD this way:

Per shave I'm saving a ton... it's that I have enough for half a decade of shaving that's the problem... :blink:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
personally i've spent next to nothing on Shaving compared to cartridge days.

I buy 100 packs of razorblades for 15 bucks and pucks of tripple milled soap that last. I've had the same bottle of aramis aftershave for two years and it's still half full. aside from the start up cost - 30 bucks for a merkur, and 30 for a brush. i havent spent much at all for 2010.

Anyone else out there looking to reduce costs in every thing these days? o btw, just got done changing my oil. costs me 15 bucks, for penzoil and an STP filter. I was cleaning out the used oil containers to take to recycling tomarow and see that i've done 6 so far. since i dont use bulk oil "ASE" putting name brand cleaning agent stuff in my car would run me 25 an oil change from my mechanic. or allmost 60 at a jiffy lube.

allways looking for a way to reduce my overhead. more money left over to go out an enjoy doing things, right?

These guys think the same way you do. It's a sound philosophy;

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/group.php?groupid=77

Well....I am! But that's just because I've managed to resist RAD (and simply can't afford it at this point in time). I also buy relatively cheap soaps/creams like Col. Conk, so I do pretty good for myself in the cost department :001_cool:

I try to rationalize my AD this way:

Per shave I'm saving a ton... it's that I have enough for half a decade of shaving that's the problem... :blink:

Bingo! I have enough blades and soap to last about 25 years (literally). If I can stop buying stuff now, I'll come out way ahead in the end. If not, well, it's still a cheap hobby. My other hobby is photography. It would take me about 275 years to put as much money into shaving as I have into photography.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have to go back to the old "toy box" system.

I have a box, it can fit so many items. The box is now full. I want something else. Something must come out of the box to make room for the new item... The box must close...

I try to mark the B/S/T as read when I log in so I reduce the temptation...

Not easy...

DE shaving teaches you the techniques and exposes you to products that save you money.

So it's possible to actually save money.

In practice, all h*ll breaks loose. :lol:

I am. Haven't spent a dime on canned goo or multi blade cartridges in over 3 years. :lol:

Wet shaving is now a hobby and falls under a different category for budget purposes.

Wet shaving is now a hobby and falls under a different category for budget purposes.

+1

I came to the board looking for the most economical shave possible. Times were fairly tight then.

Times are not nearly as tight anymore, and this is more of a hobby, and I enjoy the new adventures I can have in this hobby. I don't chase after the really expensive items, but do enjoy a lot of the more value minded items. :tongue_sm

I am not saving money by DE shaving,I spend much more money now that I have discovered that I really enjoy it and I enjoy the best of everything associated with DE shaving, but I did not get into it to save money and I would not change the oil in my car myself even if it was free.

Paul

Am I saving money? Probably not yet, as I have shelled out quite heavily for some decent kit for SWMBO and I. But I consider these purchases an investment, so they will start to pay for themselves. However, I have to ask myself if I am getting a better value for money shave? Then the answer would be yes.

It's not what something costs you, it's what something is worth to you. I have no problem spending money if there is a good value proposition for me. Would you rather spend $20 on something you didn't like or spend $50 on something that you do like? There is something to be said about saving money, but not to the point it's counterproductive. So, I may be spending more money but it's certainly worth it for me.

Last edited:
It's not what something costs you, it's what something is worth to you. I have no problem spending money if there is a good value proposition for me. Would you rather to spend $20 on something you didn't like or spend $50 on something that you do like? There is something to be said about saving money, but not to the point it's counterproductive. So, I may be spending more money but it's certainly worth it for me.

Word.:thumbup:

Besides the 100 Bics I bought on here yesterday for $14, I haven't bought anything in a couple months.

With those blades in hand, I probably have enough stuff to shave for the next year or 2 without buying a thing. $14 would get me about a month and a half of Fusion cartridges, so I am comfortable saying I am ahead. Even if I buy an Injector later this month, or Red Tip, or a Slant, or maybe even a Fat Boy.

It is like buying a new golf club. You might go out and spend $300 on a new driver, but when you go and play, all you care about is the fact that you paid $60 for 18 and a cart. My "greens fees" are minimal with wet shaving, so thats good with me.

And I would love to change my own oil just to avoid making an appointment and waiting. I just don't know where to get rid of the used oil, don't have a way to get the front end off the ground, and I like "documenting" my tire rotations for warranty purposes on a set with 80k treadware warranty.

And I would love to change my own oil just to avoid making an appointment and waiting. I just don't know where to get rid of the used oil

I don't know if it a local thing but around here if a store sells motor oil then legally they must also accept used oil regardless of wether the oil purchase was made there or not. Now you just have to figure out how to get the front end in the air.

I probably am now. I get pretty particular about what I pick up and I haven't picked anything up in over a year now probably. The last thing I bought were some GEM blades that I split with a buddy. Before that? I don't recall. I have enough razors, soaps, aftershaves, brushes and whatnot to reasonably shave for the next 3 plus years probably. I recently tried the Schick Hydro and saw I was missing absolutely nothing over DE shaving at a significant cost savings. So, while I layed out way too much cash up front, it is paying out over the long term. Oh, and I change my own oil too - done it for years.

Top Bottom