What's new

Brasso? What is it and can I use it?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I always wanted to get that mirror finish when I see those pretty pictures of straight razors. I decided to get a "known" product, Brasso! Brasso is supposed to be a good metal finish/polisher, perfect to make a straight razor look good! I think it's not recommended on Gold etching, as usual...

Like a kid on Christmas morning, I decided to use it on a straight that I restored but isn't mirror shiny. I tried the product and I was expecting a miracle. As you might suspect, the miracle didn't happen. This is when I read the instructions ( :001_rolle )...

Brasso is the easy and effective way to clean, restore and polish Brass, Copper, Pewter, Chrome, Stainless Steel, Steel and Zinc to an instant sparkling shine.

Directions for use: DO NOT SWALLOW. SHAKE WELL. Apply with a soft cloth. Polish off with a dry soft cloth before polish has completely dried.
What's wrong with that picture? "Instant sparkling shine."

So here I am in the bathroom, I tried to pour the product in a small bowl and soak the straight in, took it out, same. I tried rubbing the product in like there's no tomorrow, didn't change much... So, half the bottle is missing, I decided to Google how would I use Brasso. Strangely, no pictures, only a few lines on other forums on how to use the product...

I need pictures to understand!

So here we go. Do I know how to use the product properly? Maybe not but this is what I understood while looking at different websites. There might be a better method but this one works for me. Well, better than my first try... :laugh:

What do we need?
  • Brasso
  • Clothe (I used a square from an old shirt, you see that I won't win any prizes with scissors...)
  • Something to work on (I used a piece of paper)
  • A straight that needs to be polished
  • OPTIONAL - Gloves (I don't like to touch chemicals too much or wash my hands to get the scent of the product out...)
View attachment 114978

The first step is to shake the bottle of Brasso well!

You then need a tiny quantity of Brasso on the clothe.

With a very light pressure, rub it on the surface to polish. Be careful, you don't need much product, unlike this picture. Keep in mind that cracks are very difficult to clean if the product falls into them.
View attachment 114982

Rub the product gently for as long as you want, it will create a white chalk type residue.
View attachment 114983

I usually leave it alone for a few minutes when I get the white chalk, I then take a dry clothe and proceed to polish with very light pressure again, going in circles.
View attachment 114984

Eventually, you will be done and won't be able to look into it because it's so shiny outside and the metal is blinding you! :laugh:
View attachment 114985

Brasso is simply an abrasive, carried within a suspension, with ammonia.

I don't like it. It is not a very sophisticated polishing compound. You can use it on brass with relatively good results. The ammonia is designed to cut gunk off the surface, so the abrasive can get to the metal. Ammonia can cause some metals to discolor.

The abrasive is nothing special. Any polish in slurry will have some approximate grit level. I do not know what the grit rating is for brasso, but it is not superfine.
Automotive polishes are more carefully rated than Brasso. The ammonia is not good for your lungs. I'd suggest MAAS, or any other mild abrasive polish.

You might want to take the razor to a professional metal polisher. You should have one in your city. They have serious buffing wheels and compounds. I wouldn't recommend it as an amateur - one slip and the wheel will throw the piece - not a good idea with a straight. But a pro should make short work of it and give you back a razor you can be proud of.

Buffing wheel in a bench grinder with jewelers rouge. Never tried on a straight but I've used with success on knives and a cheep nickle plate sword scabbard.

I'm an amateur jeweler, specializing in chainmaille jewelry. I deal with rings ranging from mild steel and stainless steel to niobium and gold. I use the same polishing routine for all of them (before they're bent in to ring form, of course), and it works without fail.

Step 1: Eagle Chrome Nanopolish with a microfiber cloth. Light, long strokes in a monodirectional pattern

Step 2: Rouge on a linen buffing pad, backed up by a dremel tool. 3000RPM, moving along the surface at about 2 cm per second

Step 3: Mix 2 tablespoons of borax with a half cup of water. Stir until the solution is saturated. Scoop up some of the fine, undissolved granules using a microfiber cloth, and use quick oscillating motions to polish the surface with them. Finish up by rinsing it with the borax-water solution. Rinse with water.

Step 4: Coat with a very, VERY fine layer of crisco. Hit it with canned air, turned upside down. This will freeze the crisco. Simply wipe the frozen crisco off the surface and polish smooth with a microfiber cloth. No synthetic, though. Use a natural microfiber cloth throughout this process.

You can actually get a product here in the uk called silvo, which is brasso's cousin but designed for silver/chrome etc, though i do find mass better, but i also have now started to use autoglym, which in the uk is easier to find, and cheaper than mass, and fo me, better than mass, brasso is not a great product for silver items.

You can actually get a product here in the uk called silvo, which is brasso's cousin but designed for silver/chrome etc, though i do find mass better, but i also have now started to use autoglym, which in the uk is easier to find, and cheaper than mass, and fo me, better than mass, brasso is not a great product for silver items.

+1 on the SILVO rather than BRASSO...it comes in a tin as a cotton wadding soaked with the polish. It's a lot milder and less abrasive than the BRASSO plus there's less mess.

I've been using brasso on my razors for ages, it's good for us down here who can't get maas. Do need to try mag polish though

I've had reasonably good results outta "Metal Magic" from the same Coles Aisle as the Brasso/silvo

don't know the exact formulation of it, but it seems to work quite well with Silver Steels in getting rid of gunk 'n stuff, and certainly seems to be finer then Brasso.

Any old-time Navy man has had plenty of experience with Brasso! It has a distinct smell which instantly triggers memories, like the perfume of an old girlfriend... Lol!!!
Lots of fine metal polishes out there. "Elbow grease" is still the key to a fine result!

Both Brasso and Silvo are for softer metals self explanatory really and not suitable for steel, but Autosol and T-cut are pretty good.

Run down to your nearest auto parts store and pick up a bottle of white diamond metal polish. It has undoubtedly become my favorite.

Any old-time Navy man has had plenty of experience with Brasso! It has a distinct smell which instantly triggers memories, like the perfume of an old girlfriend... Lol!!!
Lots of fine metal polishes out there. "Elbow grease" is still the key to a fine result!

8 years in the Marines and I swore if I got out of there in anything other than a bodybag that I'd never use Brasso again! And I did, and I never have!

Reactions: Jud
Top Bottom