What's new

tried a new gear combination today - Feather in a Fatboy set to "3". so nice!

Hey fellas, I started out with a 34C and Derby blades but my beard is so tough that I frequently struggle to get a close shave without cutting myself up. I've tried going to sharper and sharper blades, and I get closer and closer shaves but with more irritation.

A while back I bought a Fatboy on the 'bay, but I'd been trying to stick with my 34C until I really got the hang of it. Today I figured what the heck, and tried the Fatboy with a Feather blade in it. I started on a medium setting (5) for the first few passes and it felt really good. Then I decided to dial it back to 3 for my XTG, ATG passes, and WOW! The Feather really seemed to mow through my stubble, and with the Fatboy dialed down I didn't get any cuts or nicks! :thumbup1:

This whole time I'd been contemplating stepping up to a more agressive razor to deal with my tough beard, but I'm starting to think that maybe a really sharp blade in a mild razor could do the trick nicely! Any of y'all try a similar approach?

I'm glad that worked out for ya ....

The funny thing was, today after my shave i was thinking about trying a similar thing ...

Gonna try my Gillette Adjustable at 3 using a Feather blade ... (I normally use my EJ DE86 with Precision blades)

I also like an aggressive blade in a Gillette Adjustable around 3-5 rather than a tame blade in a 34C. Others say tame blade and aggressive razor is better but that for me is the worst combo ever.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I used to like a new Feather in a FB at 2, adjusting to 3 or 4 as the blade got broken in, except maybe for an ATG pass. No need to get a more aggressive DE razor... the FB is plenty aggro if you dial it up to 8 or 9!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The Fat Boy looks like an aggressive razor, but in fact it's mild enough to tame the mighty Feather. It's a great combo.

Top Bottom