What's new

The Gentlemen's Quarter Aftershave, first time use.

Held off shaving yesterday because I got email saying order had shipped Thursday from neighboring West "by gawd" Virginia and was hoping for Saturday delivery. Sure enough, coming back from late breakfast with friends, saw postal truck had been making deliveries on my street. Seven days from online order to being in my mailbox, not bad. And true to from. despite label of "FRAGILE HANDLE WITH CARE", the USPS had done its level best to accordion the priority mail shipping box (your tax dollars at work). No worries though as Colleen had filled the interior with tissue and foam peanuts, "ghost turds" as my buddy calls 'em . Like a kid a Christmas, I dug into the box to discover a humble ziploc bag holding my treasure swaddled in paper toweling. At last, the bottle was revealed, but hey, it's plastic not glass. Hmm, guess I'm a bit spoiled by the gray glass bottle & metal cap of my Royall Bay Rhum. I can understand the rationale of the plastic bottle though, certainly less prone to breakage in shipping and probably less costly. The bottle does at least look vaguely vintage apothecary , brown and squat with a simple parchment style label bearing vendor's name and title "Aftershave".

Included with the aftershave was a parchment styled note from TGQ listing ingredients and a suggestion to shake well before using and to store in frig during this long lasting heat wave for a cool treat. The list of ingredients is way too long to repeat here, visit the TGQ web site http://www.thegentlemensquarter.com/ for more details.

On to the shave.

This would be shave #6 on my new razor loaded w/Super Iridium. GFT Coconut Oil shave cream applied with Savile Row 3126. WTG & XTG passes with some clean up on the neck and jaw, rinsed and rub with alum block. Now time for the aftershave. It's milky and opaque in nature, made me think that it might have the consistency of a balm, but no, it's runny. A wee bit rubbed in the palms of my hands, getting a nice peppermint note (think Nancy Boy Signature Scent) and patted onto my mug. Quick chill but not Aqua Velva Ice Blue, no "Home Alone" reaction (thank goodness). The coolness fades quickly, picked up some citrus, perhaps some floral notes too. And damn, my face feels good. There's none of that skin tight as a drum sensation, face feels soft. Men of Menthol can take heart as your favorite ingredient is here, just in a sensible measure. Overall, a subdued, restrained experience, scent is subtle and fades quickly.

Fellas, if you can manage anything coming close to a good shave, finish with this and the SWIMBO is gonna love you to death. Colleen at TGQ states that this is a "traditional" after shave, meant to "sooth and heal". I think she has succeeded in her effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom