What's new

New to Cognac - what do I need to know?

I've been a single malt drinker for the past couple of years, but I recently had my first taste of cognac - Hennessy XO. I'm now keen to get into cognacs, so what exactly to I need to know?

Any recommendations re: cognacs to try, glassware, etc?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hennessy XO is not bad but, try Courvoisier XO... Martell is good but I still think that Courvoisier is better. YMMV! :biggrin:

Normally, you would drink it in a Snifter. But the B&B Glencairn Glass is hard to beat!
glencairn.jpg

The Cognac page on Wiki is pretty good.

I would recommend the following threads:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7958
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68030
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29463

You'll need a snifter glass to enjoy the aromas a good cognac will provide. Also, cognac is classified using the following ratings:

VS - Very Special
VSOP - Very Special Old Pale
XO - Extra Old

There are other classifications and rules but for the time being focus on the above. In general, a VSOP cognac is better overall than a VS and an XO is better than VSOP. Camus makes some excellent cognacs as does Hine, but for those on a budget, Marnier-Lapostolle VSOP is an excellent value. I actually consider it better than the Courvoisier VSOP.

Last edited:
It's expensive! Bloody expensive! And it is one spirit for which the adage "you get what you pay for" is more true (but not absolute) than not.

My favorite is Martell Cordon Bleu, but in this economy I only buy a bottle a year.

Look around, try different ones as your purse will allow. And then try it's cousin, Armagnac.

The last Armagnac that I tried was a VSOP Armagnac Sempe. It was pretty good IMO, drank it neat!
The good news is that armagnacs provide a health benefit when consumed. Apparently, modest consumption of armagnacs can help protect against heart disease and obesity. It's another good reason to drink it, not that I needed any more reasons.

Last edited:
The good news is that armagnacs provide a health benefit when consumed. Apparently, modest consumption of armagnacs can help protect against heart disease and obesity. It's another good reason to drink it, not that I needed any more reasons.

Like I needed another reason to drink - now I can tell SWMBO that its part of my fitness regime!

So far I've picked up a bottle of Hennessy VSOP to try and I'm on the lookout for a bottle of armagnac based on the feedback.

I haven't found any snifter glasses yet. Most places don't seem to stock them or try to push scotch glasses on me. the one store I found that did stock them wanted $100 per glass.... :001_rolle

Luc

Staff member
Like I needed another reason to drink - now I can tell SWMBO that its part of my fitness regime!

So far I've picked up a bottle of Hennessy VSOP to try and I'm on the lookout for a bottle of armagnac based on the feedback.

I haven't found any snifter glasses yet. Most places don't seem to stock them or try to push scotch glasses on me. the one store I found that did stock them wanted $100 per glass.... :001_rolle

I had the same issue when I bought mine. Myer sells them for a fortune but they are crystal glasses...

Depending on what you want, you could pick-up something for cheaper. I got some plain glass ones for $7/glass in a kitchenware store (It wasn't House or Matchbox). The second hand stores and Op shop might have something for you.

You should be able to find the Armagnac Sempe close to your place as a few bottle shops have it in Oz.

I've been a single malt drinker for the past couple of years, but I recently had my first taste of cognac - Hennessy XO. I'm now keen to get into cognacs, so what exactly to I need to know?

Any recommendations re: cognacs to try, glassware, etc?

Now try Remy XO...:thumbup1:...and if you want to do it right, heat it to about 100° farenheit...

Last edited:
Biscuit is another good brand & Delamain may be the best I have tried.

Riedel makes an outstanding snifter & wine glasses.

I've managed to track down some reidel brandy balloons in the QVB for $30.

All systems are now go!

One thing you should know, and I will probably get banned or shot for saying this, is that Cognac is just grape brandy made in the Cognac region of France. They have some rules to follow to make it, but really, it's like if you compare Champagne and a white sparkling wine. You can find ****ty Champagne and very good white sparkling wines.

But Cognac, as it has been mentioned, is very expensive. Try some brandies, you might be surprised.

This is my discovery: The Christian Brothers Rare Reserve XO. I paid $35 for a 750ml bottle, and believe me, it's very, very good! The Cognac snobs won't dare touch it: it's from the US, Kentucky if I'm not wrong, but I really like it. It was a very good surprise to find that!

Luc

Staff member
One thing you should know, and I will probably get banned or shot for saying this, is that Cognac is just grape brandy made in the Cognac region of France. They have some rules to follow to make it, but really, it's like if you compare Champagne and a white sparkling wine. You can find ****ty Champagne and very good white sparkling wines.

But Cognac, as it has been mentioned, is very expensive. Try some brandies, you might be surprised.

This is my discovery: The Christian Brothers Rare Reserve XO. I paid $35 for a 750ml bottle, and believe me, it's very, very good! The Cognac snobs won't dare touch it: it's from the US, Kentucky if I'm not wrong, but I really like it. It was a very good surprise to find that!

Not shooting, that's right.

General rule is that Brandy can be made with other things than grapes... Loving the taste of fermented grapes... I love my Cognac...

Maison Surrenne is a very small producer, but it's entry level bottling is excellent, and their XO, while pricey, is sublime. Enjoy!

While that may be true, I don't recall any top-end brandy I know of to be as good as a top-end cognac. That's not to say that I haven't had any good brandies. However, I find the best brandies do not compare favorably to the best cognacs.

Top Bottom