What's new

My SS is stuck!!

I shaved last week with my no date code Super Speed. This morning I opened it up to take out the blade before storing it and it would not close! It is definitely stuck and no amount of turning or force could get it to close. Suggestions!?! Help me save my precious razor!

Dennis

First look for bent corners or something in then stopping it, if nothing clean it good and soak it over night in mineral oil

If that doesnt work .....
get some Liquid Wrench and hose the whole thing down.
Make sure to reeeeeeeely clean her good b4 using again.
You know.....
scrubbing bubbles, SoftScrub with Bleach....All that.

I'll go the mineral oil route first and report back. This was really surprising to me because this razor was pretty minty when I received it (from SLCSteve, I think...) - it has been a great razor for sure.

Dennis

I would boil it first, the mineral oil doesn't really penetrate like other oils. Or use an ultrasonic cleaner, that has loosened up internal mechanisms for me on TTO razors.

I would boil it first, the mineral oil doesn't really penetrate like other oils. Or use an ultrasonic cleaner, that has loosened up internal mechanisms for me on TTO razors.

you would be surprise how well the mineral oil works. Let it soak over night then work it when you take it out it might still stick a little but keep working it back and forth. it is also face safe.

Your dentist might not recommend it (or anyone else here for that matter!!), but put a towel around the end and grip it between your teeth and turn it. Works on mine, and neither the razor or teeth are chipped. Yet. :eek:

F

firebox

If nothing rises to the top, you got a problem. Liquid wrench may be ok, but clean afterwards with something like mineral oil. After all, when you cut yourself, what would like to have in the cut!

I have one of those with the same problem. I think I'm going to try some of the 3-in-1 penetrating oil, then if that can unstick everything I'll give it a good cleaning.

Your dentist might not recommend it (or anyone else here for that matter!!), but put a towel around the end and grip it between your teeth and turn it. Works on mine, and neither the razor or teeth are chipped. Yet. :eek:

My wife, the Dentist, highly recommends this technique.........great for business.:biggrin:

Update!

SAVED!!!!

I soaked it for quite a stretch (a day or two) in mineral oil. That did not do the trick. I then boiled it in water for about 10-15 minutes and then put it while still hot into the mineral oil for another day. I took it out, washed it off, tried to twist it close it again but no go. So, going for broke, I went out to the tool chest in the garage, wrapped electrical tape around the end and body, took some channel locks and gave it a gentle twist and that was all it needed! I decided to finish things up with a bath in Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush then about 10 minutes with Maas and qtips and soft cloth. This razor looks absolutely brand new - real stunner. I am really glad I was able to get it unstuck because I would have to track down another if I couldn't or I would have missed this razor too much.

Thanks for the suggestions all -
Dennis

Update!

SAVED!!!!

I soaked it for quite a stretch (a day or two) in mineral oil. That did not do the trick. I then boiled it in water for about 10-15 minutes and then put it while still hot into the mineral oil for another day. I took it out, washed it off, tried to twist it close it again but no go. So, going for broke, I went out to the tool chest in the garage, wrapped electrical tape around the end and body, took some channel locks and gave it a gentle twist and that was all it needed! I decided to finish things up with a bath in Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush then about 10 minutes with Maas and qtips and soft cloth. This razor looks absolutely brand new - real stunner. I am really glad I was able to get it unstuck because I would have to track down another if I couldn't or I would have missed this razor too much.

Thanks for the suggestions all -

Dennis, Glad you got in working. Sometimes these things can only relate to a bit of pressure.:taz:

Glad that it worked out, Dennis!

Re: Using your teeth... towel or no towel. :eek:

Another "un-sticker" is Marvel Mystery Oil. It often works, where other products will not. A gentle tap or two with a small leather mallet will also tend to help things move when they're stuck. Both of those items can usually be found in most auto parts stores.

Tchau,
chop-chop

Glad that it worked out, Dennis!

Re: Using your teeth... towel or no towel. :eek:

Another "un-sticker" is Marvel Mystery Oil. It often works, where other products will not. A gentle tap or two with a small leather mallet will also tend to help things move when they're stuck. Both of those items can usually be found in most auto parts stores.

Tchau,
chop-chop

Hey! I've got some of that stuff in my motor oil right now, to clean out a sticking hydraulic lifter! It smells great - kinda like wintergreen. But the label says it contains something which causes cancer :biggrin: Guess one should reaaaaaally clean it out afterwards o_O

Top Bottom