Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member - Northeast FL

Default New member - Northeast FL

Hi! I thought I'd introduce myself. I just started wet-shaving this month, at the suggestion of a friend. I have problems with bad irritation if I shave more than maybe once every week and a half, and he suggested I try this. Too soon to tell, but hopefully it will help.

I also had a couple of questions while I'm posting.

Does anyone know of good brick-and-mortar stores for traditional shaving supplies in northeast Florida? The most I've been able to find are some DE blades at Walgreens and CVS.

In the meantime, I bought a Van der Hagen boar-bristle brush and a cake of Van der Hagen deluxe shaving soap, along with a package of Bic Metal single blade disposable razors. I've read one or two posts with good things to say about the Bic Metal, but my question is: is this really a good test of wet shaving? I didn't want to drop $40+ on supplies right away, but if it's going to be the difference between a good shave or not, I'm willing to spend a bit more. Perhaps a Merkur HD or Edwin Jagger 89/86, something not too expensive.

Anyway, I've found a lot of great info on the forums already, so thanks everyone! Hopefully I'll be around for a while

2. Default

First, welcome to our hobby/obsession. It sounds like your skin is unusually sensitive, but let's see how it goes. I can't help you with NE Florida or Bic single blade razors specifically, but I own the EJ89L, and I've had no need to buy anything else. Generally speaking, disposable razors don't approach the quality of even mediocre DE blades, and really good DE blades can be had for $0.15 each (Astra SPs come to mind). I think it's worth the investment to find out, and if money is tight, great used razors can be had here and elsewhere for under $10.

Welcome to the B&B. I can't help you with regards with brick and mortar store locations for Florida. As for buying a razor, spend a little money now to get something nice and functional. You won't regret getting a decent razor and the DE89/96 are really nice razors. I own a DE86 and it's one of my favourties.
    "I wonder what it's like to shave with Occam's razor."

Images

Welcome to B&B!

I believe that I have heard more praise for Bic Sensitive than for Bic Metal, but I haven't tried either. I think that the brush and soap (or cream) are more important than the razor: you might also try the widely-available creams from Real Shaving Company or Kiss My Face.
    gear | FAQ | google B&B | vendor search | shaving jazz
    "People set a lot of store by shaving." — Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment

Welcome to B&B!

I don't think I got to Florida yet but this page should give you a few links that can help you...

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index...ing_by_Country
    Cheers, Luc - My Gear(Wiki) - Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!

Images

Welcome to B&B.

Welcome to Badger & Blade!
    Matthew | QueenCharlotteSoaps.com - Handmade hand & body soap, shampoo bars, tallow shaving cream and soap, aftershave balm, and much more

Welcome to B&B, using a soap and brush will be of help before going full out with a DE. Work on your lather building technique and make the jump to a DE when it suits you.
    -Darren "Why go out for hamburger when you can have steak at home?" - Paul Newman [COLOR="Red"]Member of the B&B 2011 Rudy Vey custom Brush Buy[/COLOR]

Images

Welcome from fellow Floridian.
    Jim P. - Chandler, Arizona

ackvil (at) badgerandblade.com

Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

"Winning is
    like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."
    Jack Kemp

“Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open.” Words of advice from my late mother.

Welcome to B&B!

Welcome to B&B !!
    There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of those. - Casey Stengel

Lanesborough, In the "other" Massachusetts

Welcome to B&B.
    Regards, Paul

Images

Welcome from up the road!!

Welcome to B&B!
    Good Tea Drinking and Shaving! Best regards, Steve.

Default Wet shaving helped me

My friend I was like you until I got a Merkur 34C DE safety razor and a Art of Shaving (AOS) travel kit (sandalwood scented) for a wedding present and my skin is smoother for it.

I have honed my technical approach by reading, practicing, and paying close attention to my face and how it responded to different product and let me tell you I am really happy I started.

Try a cheap Merkur DE and Proraso shaving cream and for the love of your face ditch the boars hair for a cheap badger brush if you are not able or willing to spend for the heftier priced brushes yet.

As for brick and mortar I too was the same when I started out, but soon found out that online is the way to go.

Welcome to B&B. You are at the place of many answers. Enjoy the ride.

Terry

Images

Welcome aborad. May your shaves always be BB smooth.

Images

NE Florida doesn't have a lot going on for it as far as I can tell. In Jacksonville, we have a Whole Foods where you can get a tweezerman brush and some Kiss my Face stuff. There's always the body shop and bath and body works for some other creams.
    Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. -Dan

Welcome to B&B!
    Proud member of the Great Eagle Group Buy 2010

Default Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage.

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!
    The goal is for each person to find what serves them best in the art of shaving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast