What's new

Getting started

Hello everyone. I have always wet-shaved, aside from a brief dalliance with an electric razor that was not to my pleasure. I have been using a double-edged safety razor for almost a week and feel that I am beginning to improve my technique. I am getting very good shaves but a fair amount of razor burn, which is in part due to my sensitive skin but also due to the fact that I need between four to six passes plus touching up to get it right. My beard is fairly course, although not as dense as some men's. I'm focussing on getting the lather right in order to minimise friction from the razor and making sure that I am using the right angle.

I have noticed that, contrary to what many advise, I seem to prefer longer strokes when shaving. It seems easier to modify the angle of the razor to my skin this way rather than starting out with the right angle for a short stroke. The momentum of the strokes also seem to help.

I currently own a Parker 96R and a 98R. The 96R is easier to use but the 98R gets closer with the right technique. I'm also looking into acquiring a open comb razor.

Welcome to B and B.

Razor burn should decrease as you improve your technique and lather. In the meantime, 4-6 passes is a lot (you don't mention whether they're with, across, or against the grain), regardless of how coarse your beard is. Try for 2-3 passes until your skin gets more used to the process. First with the grain, then across the grain, then, and only if necessary, against the grain.

Agreed. 4-6 passes is going to challenge anyone's skin, and their technique.

Cut down the passes, take whatever 2-3 passes gives you, and let the improvement in technique fix that over time.

Comfort and a passable shave is the initial aim. A 'good' shave is still a bad one if it leaves you sore.

Welcom to the B&B! I'll have to echo with sensitive skin especially, I'd try to keep it to 3 passes max, with a few touch ups as needed!

Thanks everyone. I'll cut it down to three passes and see if that helps. I usually go with the grain, across and then against. The difficult areas are my neck and my chin.

Welcome. Don't exceed four passes. If you need to touch up certain places do it without a complete pass.

Welcome to the B&B. Try to do no more than 3 passes, even if it means a little stubble is remaining. You can spot shave a few places if you have to. Remember, the more passes you do, the more likely you'll cause irritation and nick yourself.

Welcome to B and B.

Razor burn should decrease as you improve your technique and lather. In the meantime, 4-6 passes is a lot (you don't mention whether they're with, across, or against the grain), regardless of how coarse your beard is. Try for 2-3 passes until your skin gets more used to the process. First with the grain, then across the grain, then, and only if necessary, against the grain.

This man has hit the nail upon the head! Take it easy and try to shave without causing yourself any discomfort. Good results will follow soon enough.

Top Bottom