What's new

Alternative to Gucci Pour Homme (Plenty o' Cedar wood)

Greetings and salutations, gentlemen.

A friend of mine gave me a bottle of Gucci Pour Homme a few years back (from what I could gather on Basenotes it's a 2003 blend, produced by none other than Mr Tom Ford). I really enjoyed this fragrance; to my nose it was a reasonably pure and linear cedar wood scent, with a touch of sweetness in it (nutmeg perhaps?). Sadly I could only enjoy it for about 5 minutes, and then it was GAWN... my skin is like blotting paper, but the staying power of this cologne was freakishly short, even by my standards.

I'm curious if any of you might be able to point me in the direction of a cologne with a strong cedar flavour and a bit of longevity, please?

Might I recommend Burberry London? I think they are in the same genre, but most might not agree. My analysis is that it's got more cedar and less tobacco. But I'm no expert.

Thanks for the suggestions, gents. I'll look into both of those!

FYI: a lot of the reviewers on Basenotes compare the Gucci Pour Homme to the smell of pencil shavings, and I would have to agree - albeit delicious, masculine pencil shavings:laugh:

My understanding is that Lalique Equus has a strong cedar note. I've never smelled it, and it seems to be hard to find. I am also interested in this thread.

cdg2man
juicy couture dirty english

+1 on Dirty English. To my nose, the Gucci seems a little more "refined" or smooth, where the Dirty English seems a little more like raw cedar, but with a touch of powdery vanilla that comes through a little on the drydown. As for longevity, both the Gucci and DE have moderate (5 to 6 hours) staying power for me.

I thought the violet note took away some from Equus, but if cedar's your thing you might try Tumulte Pour Homme (notes are cedar, cedar and cedar...really.)

+1 on the 2man; that's a good one with some similar qualities.

Oscar for Men (yellow box) is pretty hardcore dry pencil shavings. I love cedar and woods scents in general, but that one is a tad too harsh for even me.

Last edited:
If you like Pour Homme, maybe you should give Gucci Envy a shot--that has some cedar too. I actually prefer Envy to Pour Homme, but of course YMMV.

If you like Pour Homme, maybe you should give Gucci Envy a shot--that has some cedar too. I actually prefer Envy to Pour Homme, but of course YMMV.

Thanks for that (and thanks to everyone else for the suggestions also!). Love your avatar, BTW - I'm also an NES die-hard (they don't make 'em like that anymore, do they?). And don't get me started on SEGA...

I put Gucci Pour Homme near the top of my list. I also own and enjoy Equus and Tumulte, but my nose doesn't put them in the same class as Gucci PH, cedar-wise. If you want something that smells similar to Gucci PH but might last longer, try Tommy Bahama (the cool brown bottle). Tops my list of go-to scents.

Top Bottom