What's new

For those of you looking for bowls.

I like the idea. I prefer something with at least a 5 in. diameter so that I'm not hitting the brush against the side of the bowl all the time (I have hyper sensitive hearing problems).

How does an aluminum bowl do at retaining heat? I have a thin walled pottery bowl that I use that is the perfect size, but it does not retain heat well at all.

I like the idea. I prefer something with at least a 5 in. diameter so that I'm not hitting the brush against the side of the bowl all the time (I have hyper sensitive hearing problems).

How does an aluminum bowl do at retaining heat? I have a thin walled pottery bowl that I use that is the perfect size, but it does not retain heat well at all.

Aluminum has a high transfer of heat to air, so it will not retain heat well.
That is why aluminum is used a heat sinks for electronics in order to transfer heat away. Most metals tend to transfer heat into the air or into objects that come in contact with them, like your hands (ouch)!
Remember, metals are electrical and/or heat conductors or heat shielding depending upon the use of other materials.

Cast iron would retain heat better, like cast iron skillets, but it rusts and is not a good metal to use for this purpose.

Heavier ceramics, stoneware, glass can retain heat better than metals.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Those look a lot like the food/water bowls on my parrot's cage and can be had for about $5 at Pet Smart. My parrot's bowls are between four and five inches across.

I like the ones with the lids though.

Those look a lot like the food/water bowls on my parrot's cage and can be had for about $5 at Pet Smart. My parrot's bowls are between four and five inches across.

I like the ones with the lids though.

I was thinking that, they look almost identical to my parrot's water bowl.

Aluminum has a high transfer of heat to air, so it will not retain heat well.
That is why aluminum is used a heat sinks for electronics in order to transfer heat away. Most metals tend to transfer heat into the air or into objects that come in contact with them, like your hands (ouch)!
Remember, metals are electrical and/or heat conductors or heat shielding depending upon the use of other materials.

Cast iron would retain heat better, like cast iron skillets, but it rusts and is not a good metal to use for this purpose.

Heavier ceramics, stoneware, glass can retain heat better than metals.

Thanks GD! I guess if I would've thought about that for a minute longer.... ;-)

Top Bottom