What's new

Protein Powders

I'm looking for a protein supplement and have absolutely no idea what to buy. Supplements are just as confusing and overwhelming as the shaving world to a newbie. Does anyone here have any suggestions? I am a pretty serious amateur athlete who trains five or six days per week. I'm not looking to build mass, just recover faster and supplement my diet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

"designer" whey is pretty good. But not why you would think. (they do a lot of advertising, and are (where) considered the best out there a few years back..

1. It actually tastes OK.
2. It mixes better than most

In my opinion, these two factors are necessary for me to take any protein supplement. I can't believe people choke down some of that stuff. I am all for health, but c'mon.....

Otherwise, I would just find an egg farm and see if you can get whites. (I found a place that sold 2 liter cartons for 3 bucks a piece, frozen). I was making all kinds of egg white omelette's, "frittatas", shakes, etc.

Brett,

The vast majority of the protein powders (primarily Whey protein powders) out there are pretty much the same. I would go to GNC & see what they suggest. It will be kinda pricey I would imagine but they also sell KMF shaving cream so you can feed 2 addictions at once. :biggrin1:

Whichever powder you choose, mix it with water instead of milk. It mixes alot better in my experience that way.

Brett,

The vast majority of the protein powders (primarily Whey protein powders) out there are pretty much the same. I would go to GNC & see what they suggest. It will be kinda pricey I would imagine but they also sell KMF shaving cream so you can feed 2 addictions at once. :biggrin1:

Whichever powder you choose, mix it with water instead of milk. It mixes alot better in my experience that way.

Yes, but with milk it tastes much better :drool:

Here is a forum which will provide you with plenty of info. :biggrin:

Muscle Milk is far and away the best tasting of the Protein Powders, if you ask me. Technically, it's a little more slow absorbing than whey so is best used throughout the day, while the faster absorbing whey proteins are best just before or after a workout. Most people don't worry about the technicalities so much and and go for the best tasting one they can find...including me. :smile:

Muscle milk is insanely high in calories for its serving size (Close to 300 calories for 28g of Protein over 60g total) The protein to serving size for MM is really poor (you want it as close to 1:1 as possible when you take a protein supplement, as the only reason you're taking a protein supplement is for the protein). MM is also mainly casein based, it takes longer to digest than whey protein. If you're planning to drink your protein after working out MM is not what you want, you want a fast absorbing protein for PWO (post workout) so your body can absorb it faster. Not to mention for how little you get it's really expensive (2.48lbs for $20), serving size for it is 2 scoops so it'll run out fairly fast.

The protein that consistently gets great reviews is ON's Gold Standard 100% Whey. It's what I'm using now, 30g scoop is 120 calories with 24g of protein. I have the double rich chocolate flavor, and while I won't confuse it for hot chocolate anytime soon, the taste isn't bad at all. The price is pretty good on it, and since the serving size is 1 scoop it'll last longer. I bought the 10lb bag for $48, but I don't recommend you do that in case you get a flavor you don't like.

Before ON I've been using Nitrean for the past 6 months. Which isn't pure whey, but a combination of whey, egg, and casein proteins.

Regardless of what you buy, I recommend a quick google search of all the stores that offer what you want to buy and check the final cost, and of course check the store ratings.

:001_smile

I am using Designer Whey strawberry flavor. I drink it with skim or 1% milk and it actually tastes pretty good which is a big deciding factor for me. 2 scoops before working out does the trick for me.

Raf

I've used Dymatize whey protein and it tastes great. I love the butter cream toffee flavor the best. They also sell samplers of each flavor.

http://supplementmarket.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=39

proxy.php

Make sure you buy a protein shaker too. It does a better job than mixing with a spoon and it's alot faster too. I think you can buy it at GNC and Vitamin shop.

http://supplementmarket.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=277

proxy.php

Muscle milk is insanely high in calories for its serving size (Close to 300 calories for 28g of Protein over 60g total) The protein to serving size for MM is really poor (you want it as close to 1:1 as possible when you take a protein supplement, as the only reason you're taking a protein supplement is for the protein). MM is also mainly casein based, it takes longer to digest than whey protein. If you're planning to drink your protein after working out MM is not what you want, you want a fast absorbing protein for PWO (post workout) so your body can absorb it faster. Not to mention for how little you get it's really expensive (2.48lbs for $20), serving size for it is 2 scoops so it'll run out fairly fast.

The protein that consistently gets great reviews is ON's Gold Standard 100% Whey. It's what I'm using now, 30g scoop is 120 calories with 24g of protein. I have the double rich chocolate flavor, and while I won't confuse it for hot chocolate anytime soon, the taste isn't bad at all. The price is pretty good on it, and since the serving size is 1 scoop it'll last longer. I bought the 10lb bag for $48, but I don't recommend you do that in case you get a flavor you don't like.

Before ON I've been using Nitrean for the past 6 months. Which isn't pure whey, but a combination of whey, egg, and casein proteins.

Regardless of what you buy, I recommend a quick google search of all the stores that offer what you want to buy and check the final cost, and of course check the store ratings.

:001_smile

If he only plans on drinking the immediately before or after a workout whey will be better as both you and I explained. If, as the original poster is doing, he is only trying to maintain and aid in recovery, etc any product will do...and the better it tastes the longer he will stick with it. Sticking with any protein shake seems to be a problem with many casual gym-goers and taste over extended periods of time has everything to do with it. A 10lb bag of anything is likely to start making most people gag about 1/4 of the way through. That's where Muscle Milk comes in. And Muscle Milk comes in both Lean Muscle and Light formulations. There are obviously lots of good protein supplements, but I strongly disagree with PR22 about Muscle Milk quality. The review and analysis on the bodybuilding website below will explain why. Along the left hand side of the page at the links below you will see a ton of reviews/comparisons/recommendations. As for price, all of them cost "too much", so just buy online and you will save about half on about every brand out there. The website below will also give recipes to clone certain brands very inexpensively. If you don't care about expense or value convenience just buy a variety of ready-to-drink shakes from the fridge at GNC or your gym and use those. The bottom line is whatever you choose, the longer you can stick with it the better. That means you will probably be switching back and forth between brands as you grow tired of them and start looking for something a little different. For me, it takes quite a bit longer to get tired of Muscle Milk than any of the others...and I have tried many. Be sure to do a little research on the bodybuilding websites as both of us suggested!!! :wink:

Muscle Milk Review
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/protein/muscle-milk-cytosport.htm

Protein Supplement Showdown #1 (see 1-5)
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/protein/whey-protein-compare-1.htm

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey in the Chocolate flavor is my choice. Cheap (relatively speaking), reasonably tasty, and mixes well. Whatever you do, however, do not buy the vanilla flavor, it is disgusting.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey in the Chocolate flavor is my choice. Cheap (relatively speaking), reasonably tasty, and mixes well. Whatever you do, however, do not buy the vanilla flavor, it is disgusting.

I agree too. Their vanilla looks & tastes about like baby formula after it has come back up. :eek:

Optimum's powder DOES NOT mix very well with cold milk. The powder tends to clump up. It mixes & tastes just fine with water.

If he only plans on drinking the immediately before or after a workout whey will be better as both you and I explained. If, as the original poster is doing, he is only trying to maintain and aid in recovery, etc any product will do...and the better it tastes the longer he will stick with it. Sticking with any protein shake seems to be a problem with many casual gym-goers and taste over extended periods of time has everything to do with it. A 10lb bag of anything is likely to start making most people gag about 1/4 of the way through. That's where Muscle Milk comes in. And Muscle Milk comes in both Lean Muscle and Light formulations. There are obviously lots of good protein supplements, but I strongly disagree with PR22 about Muscle Milk quality. The review and analysis on the bodybuilding website below will explain why. Along the left hand side of the page at the links below you will see a ton of reviews/comparisons/recommendations. As for price, all of them cost "too much", so just buy online and you will save about half on about every brand out there. The website below will also give recipes to clone certain brands very inexpensively. If you don't care about expense or value convenience just buy a variety of ready-to-drink shakes from the fridge at GNC or your gym and use those. The bottom line is whatever you choose, the longer you can stick with it the better. That means you will probably be switching back and forth between brands as you grow tired of them and start looking for something a little different. For me, it takes quite a bit longer to get tired of Muscle Milk than any of the others...and I have tried many. Be sure to do a little research on the bodybuilding websites as both of us suggested!!! :wink:

Muscle Milk Review
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/protein/muscle-milk-cytosport.htm

Protein Supplement Showdown #1 (see 1-5)
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/protein/whey-protein-compare-1.htm

this is great information that obviously comes from experience.

I have found that protein powder is protein powder. It is a "convenient" way of getting protein, compared to what athletes used to do, namely eating a lot of natural protein sources, (eggs, milk, meat, etc)

The only glaring differences I find between brands are the taste and mix-ability. Sure, brands will claim they beat the heck out of brand "X" due to "absorption, amino-acids, and some made up thing like "cybertein" or whatever, but if you can get beyond the marketing hype, it boils down to what you can stand, and for how long you can stand it. Any shake I make has to have a banana, a scoop of homemade yogurt, and a teaspoon of peanut butter in it before it touches my lips. Even the designer whey that i recommended above receives the additions. I just find the taste off putting of all protein supplements.

might I also add, that one should not confuse the intention of whatever you are exercising for, with what many supplement companies are marketing towards (competition level bodybuilders). Muscle Milk and products like that play an important part in providing quality calories as well as protein. Just because a supplement provides 300 calories, don't think that that is a "high calorie" product. You will begin to starve yourself if you drop your calories completely, your metabolism will dive, and you will begin digesting "yourself". A pro body builder begins to restrict calories months prior to a contest, achieving a "peak". The casual athletic guy has almost nothing in common with this bodybuilder in terms of desired finished product, or goals. For example, some time ago, I used to snowboard a lot, and wanted to cross train with weights. During the summer, I would work out in the gym to build up strength, then in the winter, I would basically snowboard all the time. In the summer, I would inevitably put on a few extra pounds, but knowing that that would be burnt off doing the high cardio work outs on the mountain every weekend in the winter. Really improved my snowboarding. During the snow season, I rarely went to the gym, but I also found that "low carb" solutions absolutely did not cut it for me during this time. I would eat like a horse, after coming home at night. The best advice I can give is to choose a supplement that meets your goals. for me it was "sports enhancement". I felt better and stronger when I began to substitute say a large thick whey shake w/ banana, milk and yogurt and a tuna sandwich, than half a pepperoni pizza. Sure, the pizza is more fun at the moment, but that shake will hit all the requirements that your body needs.

I don't use a protein powder, but I do use glutamine to help with recovery as recommended in a nutrition shop. On very heavy days-weeks when I am sore I might add a bit of creatine to the mix, but just a dash, because I don't want to get bigger. Do the protein powders contain glutamine? Does anyone else use this? Just a thought..

Thanks for all of the advice. My needs are more in line with what Wok described, although I still don't know what "designer" whey is. I believe that Muscle Milk is avaible at GNC so that's probably what I'll try.

+1

-1: I like the vanilla. I mix it with fresh berries and Dannon "Carb Balance" yogurt plus 2 packets of splenda.

+1 to Costco as well.

Another suggestion, go get a battery operated "Milk frother" to stir the stuff up with on the go. These are also called "Formula mixers" at Babies 'R Us. While you are there, get some formula pouches. They are small ziplock bags with built in funnels. Makes on the go a snap.

Top Bottom