What's new

HHT before and after stropping

Hey.

This may be an obvious question but I have to ask. If arazor passes the HHT before stropping, should it do it afterward as well or has the edge been "smoothed" so that it may be a bit duller? I'm trying to figure out if my stropping technique still needs refinement or if this is normal :)

Are you asking if you are dulling your razors with your stropping technique?
A shave test should tell you that.

With razors that are starting to pull a little while shaving, I use the HHT along its length to tell (among other things) if the dulling is relatively even. Or, whether there is a region or two that is significantly duller. If the latter, then my stropping might be a problem, and/or there is something on the strop that is dulling the blade.

Are you asking if you are dulling your razors with your stropping technique?
A shave test should tell you that.

Well, I can feel that it's not as sharp as I know it can be. I was just trying to figure out if this was a problem with the edge already before the stropping.

...I was just trying to figure out if this was a problem with the edge already before the stropping.

I know the majority opinion is somewhat dubious of the value of the HHT. Nonetheless, I think that if you invest the time required to perfect its use, you will be very glad you did.

I went back and looked over my stropping technique again and started over very slowly and carefully. Got the razor to pass the HHT test after stropping now so I guess I should keep practicing that stropping technique :blush:

I don't even bother trying the HHT before stropping. Edges coming off Eschers (for me) can't pass at any level reliably. After stropping they silent fall perfectly.

I rarely have a razor pass the HHT prior to stropping... Sometimes it works off the 12k, but my hair is usually too fine for that... However, I use the HHT during stropping to determine if the edge needs a little more stropping, maybe a stropping paste, or if it's ready to shave...

Top Bottom