What's new

Best cleanser for face and best body moisturizer?

I have been struggling for a long time to find the best facial cleanser and a good body moisturizer. Can I get some suggestions on what are the best?

I'm not much help with the facial cleanser as I've always used a bar of soap. Depending on the severity of dry skin, I use C.O. Bigelow Unscented Superb Body Lotion if my skin isn't very dry, or The Body Shop Hemp Body Butter if it's very dry. I've tried several lotions, creams, etc., but so far the Hemp Body Butter is the most moisturizing outside of products like Eucerin Ointments that are for SEVERELY dry skin and very greasy.

For more widely available products, I've had good luck with Nivea lotions.

Ultimately, it will all come down to your skin type. The rest of us can only make modest suggestions.

Personally, I stay away from Jack Black products after some less than ideal results. The most effective IMHO is the Nancy Boy mild facial cleanser. Get that and some of their Toner and you will feel like you've died and gone to skincare heaven. If you want, just try their TSA Travel sizes. Good prices and solid customer service as well. Don't be fooled by the packaging. It's not glossy by design. They're trying not to pass on the cost associated with fancy packaging.

What have you tried?

My first suggestion is just water. Go with it for about a week and see how you like it.

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser would be my top OTC recommendation (store brands are equivalent). Rub it on your dry face (with clean hands of course) and then rinse with water.
proxy.php

WARNING: Stay away from their other cleansing product, Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser - it is very drying and causes rebound oiliness if your skin is prone to it.
proxy.php

If you're DIY-y or chemical averse, plain yogurt with oatmeal (instant or quick) is also really great and I found it superb at controlling oil.

Last edited:
In all honesty the best daily facial cleaner I've ever used was some J&J baby soap...didn't dry my skin out, was friendly on the eyes, and didn't leave any lingering smells either.

I use Kirk's Natural bar soap for the face and neck and Dr. Bronner bath soap in the pump jar for the rest of me. I put 2 squirts of the liquid soap on a gauze thing on a string and away I go. I like the lavender and Lemon Lime scents. All of these soaps leave me squeaky clean and not dried out. FYI, the soap scents are very pleasant but don't seem to linger at all.

in the spirit of keeping it simple, effective and cheap, you can't beat unscented dove bar soap, and a small amount of plain vaseline to areas of dry skin directly after bathing (while the skin is still slightly moist).

R

rodeo

I have been struggling for a long time to find the best facial cleanser and a good body moisturizer. Can I get some suggestions on what are the best?

Nothing works better for me on my face than sinple Ivory bar soap. Gotta have it and if I travel and dont have access to it, I cant wait to get back home to wash my face with it. Try it, its a great facial cleansing soap.

Baxter of California for facial wash.

Lucky Tiger also makes a damn good, incredibly gentle face wash (nice light scent, too :001_smile )

I personally like the Burt's Bees. . . oatmeal? body moisturizer.

This goes against modern thinking but one of the best things you can do for your skin is to lay off the soap. We over do it and water works wonders. I might wash my face once a week with a mild bar soap and I have always had oily skin. I did the Oil Cleansing Method for a long while, but then got lazy and now I just splash my face with water a couple times a day and I'm good. Believe it or not my skin is less oily. And this is from a guy who has awful skin. But you can continue scrubbing your face of all its natural protective oily goodness and attempt to replenish what you just stripped away with an expensive, less than ideal moisturizer if you want. Its like chasing your tail.

Top Bottom