What's new

Assistance with my Dovo MoP Inox Stainless

Since I got this from a purchase I've had a frustrating time getting this keen enough. I've had greater success with carbon steel razors, and I know stainless takes longer--more passes--to hone, but I can't seem to get this to the point that equals my other razors. I need help!

Here's a list of my hones, and what I've tried. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

DMT 8000 grit
Belgian coticule
Pasted strop, including 1.0, .5, and .25 ChroX

I've done numerous passes on the coticule, followed by even more on the Chromium Oxide. The damn razor still doesn't get to pass the HHT. What am I missing?

-Lear

p.s. my coticule is pretty small, perhaps only 3.5 inches in length. I'm wondering if I should get a longer one to help facilitate gaining a quicker edge.

After you come off the coarsest hone you have, does the razor pass the TNT? If not - and no cheating - stay on the coarse hone until it does. Then and only then should you move on.

Its going to be hard work on coti SO SMALL. how are you using coti with slurry/ water?

you can pass hht of coticule paste for sure. Your edge is way of by the sounds of it. Hone on 800 untill you can pass like above says tnt, also you can shave arm hair. then progress to your coticule and start on slurry and hone untill you removed scratch pattern from 800 dmt . Then you will need to dilute slowly. Or you could do unicot method. either way you can finish on with 5 laps on each paste and finish with just 5 laps on cro.ox .Its up to you how you finish with paste. personaly i would'nt need any paste after sucessful honing on my particular coticule.btw stainless hones up just as well as carbon steel in my opinion .

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it one of the newer ones or an older. I have the same razor mines about 5 years old and I always hone it on the coticule. Yea it takes a few more trips but it's an outstanding shaver. Maybe it was far from being shave ready when you got it and you might need more attention. Any pictures?

I'm still just a beginner with honing, so it must be my technique combined with my tools. It supposedly came shave ready, but the initial shave didn't feel like it was as described. I can't really post photos that would help, I don't think.

Thanks for the replies. My small coti was always frustrating, so I'll get back to work once I get a longer hone. Then I shall post my results.

Salud,
Lear

jinenjo,

I have two (2) Dovo EnVogue stainless razors, and use Naniwa SuperStones (3, 8, 12k) to hone them and have had very good results (so far!).

I do not have any experience using cotis at all, so can't comment.

+1 on making sure that you have a good bevel established (use felt marker on edge & magnifier to confirm) as this is fundemental to getting good results. I use a 1k Naniwa for bevel setting.

Good luck !

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

jinenjo,

+1 on making sure that you have a good bevel established (use felt marker on edge & magnifier to confirm) as this is fundemental to getting good results. I use a 1k Naniwa for bevel setting.

Russ

My Dovo MoP is a great shaver but a challenge to hone. The blade is, how should I say... not exactly straight? Definitely use a marker to check the bevel.

SS blades are a little different then carbon Blade.
if you know when to stop you shouldn't have trouble to hone the SS blade.
i would say REMEMBER SS blade will never get as sharp as Carbon steel blade.
hope this helps.

SS blades are a little different then carbon Blade.
if you know when to stop you shouldn't have trouble to hone the SS blade.
i would say REMEMBER SS blade will never get as sharp as Carbon steel blade.
hope this helps.

Not my experience. My stainless blades take an edge every bit as good as carbon steel. In fact I used an INOX Friodur this morning.

The notion a stainless blade will not get as sharp as a carbon steel blade is an incorrect idea. If the author of that finds it to be the case he might want to hone up his honing skills.

The notion a stainless blade will not get as sharp as a carbon steel blade is an incorrect idea. If the author of that finds it to be the case he might want to hone up his honing skills.

if you have doubt about my honing skills that is fine with me.
when someone will get from the steel it is max that person will understand what i mean.
SS blades as i mention early will never get as sharp as carbon steel.(this doesn;t mean it will not get sharp enough to shave comfortable)
You can ask this more experienced honers and see what is their response.
In fact to find out this you have to have enough honing experience.
if you haven't hone enough SS blades and you just satisfy ok edge i doubt you will ever find out this.

Top Bottom