What's new

THAYERS Alcohol-Free Unscented Witch Hazel

First time I ever use witch hazel and I was wondering, how should it feel after you splash it on after you shave? I ask b/c it feels like I'm splashing regular H2O on my face. I figured I would feel something, even maybe a slight stinging sensation, but no. I feel more with an alum block.

Witch hazel does not have much alcohol in it at all to begin with--I don't know if the "alcohol free" has any of the natural alcohol left in it or not. All the same, unless you really tore your face up, it shouldn't feel like anything really.

You don't feel anything with Thayers standard (10%) Super medicated (20%) or Aftershave (20%) or at least I don't.

So your'e unlikely to feel anything with alcohol free. Don't get ants in your pants about using alcohol either I often feel half the irritation problems are caused by not using enough alcohol based product to disinfect post shave.

"If" it does dry the skin it is easier to deal with than irritated skin.

For me I don't feel anything - but that's the point. If I have any minor nicks or irritation, Thayer's provides instant relief - without any burn or discomfort.:001_smile

I use this stuff precisely because I don't want any stinging sensation on my face. The alum block is more than enough (I only use it if I nick myself). I use a little metal spray bottle for the witch hazel and spritz it on rather liberally.

I use this stuff precisely because I don't want any stinging sensation on my face. The alum block is more than enough (I only use it if I nick myself). I use a little metal spray bottle for the witch hazel and spritz it on rather liberally.

This is just what I do and seems to work rather well.

Thayer's WH is "alcohol free" because it's not traditional WH. To make what is classically known as Witch Hazel, you would typically distill hamamelis virginiana bark and leaves, yielding exactly 14% alcohol. Thayer's uses a proprietary process resulting in a hamamelis virginiana extract with next to no alcohol (but a trace amount remains - think of it as non-alcoholic beer, which actually still contains some alcohol).

editorial comment: just a statement of fact, not whether that's good or bad. I happen to hold a similar opinion of Thayer's WH and non-alcoholic beer

So, what you're left with is hopefully a concoction which still functions as an astringent, but without the burn of alcohol. I personally find it less effective than cheapo WH (I use Dickinson's because it stinks a little less than store-brand and has a better lid/bottle). I would say skip the alcohol-free "witch hazel" and just do a cold water rinse. Perhaps an alum block - but if you're afraid of the alcohol sting, that might not be your favorite thing either.

Top Bottom