What's new

KAI Blades: Feather's Easygoing Cousin?

The comparison between Kai and Feather blades is one that seems to be drawn quite often here. Feather blades are definitely able to give me the closest shave of any blade I've tried (and comfortably so if I'm paying attention), but they also seem to have a way of highlighting absolutely every mistake you make. The Kai blades give me a very very similar shave, but "dialed down" slightly - as if someone took the feather blades and dialed them down from a "10" to an "8.5". While the differences are small, the increased comfort is tangible and is definitely a big plus for me. Anyone else feelin' some love for Kai's blades?

I find KAI blades to be a little less sharp but I don't know if it translates to more forgiving or smooth for me. However, I would imagine for most people if they make a mistake with a new Feather blade, they get the message quick. What razor are you using to compare the two?

I'm using a Slim Adjustable. I have it set at 4 or 5 when I use the Kais and Feathers.

Do you find that you prefer Feathers then?

I'm using a Slim Adjustable. I have it set at 4 or 5 when I use the Kais and Feathers.

Do you find that you prefer Feathers then?
Yes, but not by all that much. In fact, if I was just starting in DE shaving, I would pick KAI blades for the reasons you specified. They also have the added advantage that they are slightly cheaper.

Kai is my favorite blade, and the only one I am currently using.

I, too, load it into a Slim. I like 5 or 6 for the first pass, and then I dial it down for subsequent passes, usually to 4.

Today I dialed all the way down to 3 and had an amazingly smooth, comfortable second pass. The Kai was on its third shave, which is when I think the blade does its best work.:thumbup1:

I'm having a hard time making any distinction between Feathers and Kais. After all the discussions I decided to retest my own experiences with a Merkur progress dialed to 3 (of 5). The blade I loved most was the one I used most recently. I am sooooo fickle.

Huh. I've never tried the KAIs.

Would anyone care to trade a few for a few Gillette Bleues or Bluebirds? If so, PM me.

Jeff

how do the KAI's compare to Derbys?

I've got a few of the old boxes of Derby blades (horizontal writing) and even those are hit and miss.

The Derbys work fine for me, but I think the Kai blades blow them away. Right up there with Astra SPs, if not slightly better. And the Astras are way up on my list.

My first encounter with the Kai blade was quite rough and I had some nicks and cuts besides an ultra BBS shave. Today was better. Very smooth and blood free shave. The only variable was the shaving soap I used. Today Tabac and a few days ago Speick shaving cream.

Top Bottom