What's new

Straight Razor vs Double Edge In Method Shaving

Since starting method shaving, I have used only my EJ DE89L with Derby razors. I have got amazingly good shaves using this setup:001_tt1:, and have considered using my straight with MS. The only problem is Method Shaving seems to have major emphasis on the 'velocity' of the shave and switching to a straight would slow the cutting down considerably, therefore the mix would dry out and become unstable. I understand there are "slower" cutting pastes but it seems the "faster" ones give exceptional results, even more so than #1 paste. I want the best result of a shave and am wondering if I should just completely use the DE or try with a straight. As I've said at this moment in time I am solely looking for the best results. Thanks in advance to any comments! :thumbsup:

PS. What blades do you recommend?:confused1 I hear only good things about feathers. :w00t:

TBH I wondered that myself. Also, I like having dry hands with a straight and it doesn't look possible with that method.

TBH I wondered that myself. Also, I like having dry hands with a straight and it doesn't look possible with that method.

A very good point, I have to keep a towel handy to dry my hands and DE when method shaving. And the best tip I read was to open the products BEFORE shaving :tongue_sm it's almost impossible with such slick hands.

When I method shave, knowing that my hands will be wet bit I still need a good grip on skin and implements, I moisten my fingers and rub them on an alum block. Works great, but I can't remember where I learned it from. I would like to give credit where it is due.

When I method shave, knowing that my hands will be wet bit I still need a good grip on skin and implements, I moisten my fingers and rub them on an alum block. Works great, but I can't remember where I learned it from. I would like to give credit where it is due.

I learned the alum block trick from Chimensch's 30 years shaving with a straight video.

Top Bottom