What's new

My cousin wants to try DE shave

After a long discussion the other night over dinner about how I'm now wet shaving, and him having tons of questions, I promised to get him going. He's 26 years old and into collecting vintage fishing reels. More than collecting shaving gear, he's just looking for a much better shave. He hates cartridges, price and shave both, and never really realized there was another way. I told him just switching from goo in a can to a brush and quality soap would improve his shave. He wants more than that. So here's what I am giving him tomorrow:

As far as soaps, I'm setting him up with enough Nancy Boy Signature Shave Cream for about 8 to 10 shaves, and a Palmolive Shave Stick.

As far as razors, I'm setting him up with a black handle Gillette Super Speed and a Gillette Black Beauty short handle adjustable - both from the mid 1970s.

For a brush, a badger hair Tweezerman.

For blades, I'm giving him Israeli Personnas.

Aftershave is Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm.

And a styptic pencil of course.

I've sent him links to the tutorial videos from mantic59 and he replied back, "Heck yea, I want to lather right now!".

I've also typed out in-depth instructions.

I think I've covered everything for him and now it's his turn.

Anything I've missed? Good choices in products/razors?

Last edited:
Try to put more blades, not just Israeli Personna blades.
A sampler would be better, since he might not get well with Israelis

Looks very complete. I agree with some of the others here regarding blades. I have tried a lot of them and only a couple really pair well with my beard. recommend to him to try a sample of blades after he gets into it a bit.

Sounds like you have the basics covered. As his shaving develops, so will the product line-up. Perhaps he should stick with the cream for the time as it will be easier to develop lathering skills.

Sounds like you have the basics covered. As his shaving develops, so will the product line-up. Perhaps he should stick with the cream for the time as it will be easier to develop lathering skills.

I think I'll toss in a tube of Palmolive Classic cream too because I don't think that's enough Nancy Boy for him to come to a solid decision on whether or not this will be for him. Thanks.

Maybe you could additionally sample him an alcohol based aftershave. The sensitive ASB sometimes is a bit greasy during the summer. Just my 0.02€.

Maybe you could additionally sample him an alcohol based aftershave. The sensitive ASB sometimes is a bit greasy during the summer. Just my 0.02€.

Never noticed that with the Nivea Sensitive ASB as that's what I only use. Maybe they are different formulations in the US and Europe? I'm hesitant to go the alcohol based route as not to cause him any more pain than he's already in for. :lol:

I'm hesitant to go the alcohol based route as not to cause him any more pain than he's already in for.

Bah. There's nothing wrong with alcohol-based AS. One can follow it up with the nivea, if it dries things out too much. Get him a bottle of pinaud bay rum. If anything, he might appreciate the coolness that comes after the stinging... and after awhile, it shouldn't sting.
-- Chet

Bah. There's nothing wrong with alcohol-based AS. One can follow it up with the nivea, if it dries things out too much. Get him a bottle of pinaud bay rum. If anything, he might appreciate the coolness that comes after the stinging... and after awhile, it shouldn't sting.
-- Chet

I should probably skip the Nivea and give him an alcohol based AS just for the fun of it. Him calling me up to tell me how bad it burned. :lol:

The young man is lucky to have a mentor like you to guide him along his wetshaving journey.

Just a couple suggestions . . . make sure he is "turned on" to B&B for information, advice, and companionship. Also, I agree with the suggestion on additional blades beyond the IPs. (I have recently been having great results from humble Dollar General ASR blades!)

Be sure to follow-up with him to make sure he is having good results. Encourage him to post his results and experience on B&B!!

A

I've also typed out in-depth instructions.
Hi Gents, new to the site as I just picked up a D/E razor and basic setup a few weeks ago but have really enjoyed starting the process.

Any chance that you would consider posting your instructions over in the Newbie section? I have been picking up a lot from the stickies and videos but would enjoy your take as well!

Hi Gents, new to the site as I just picked up a D/E razor and basic setup a few weeks ago but have really enjoyed starting the process.

Any chance that you would consider posting your instructions over in the Newbie section? I have been picking up a lot from the stickies and videos but would enjoy your take as well!

Sure, I'll post it. It won't be how everyone else does it but it's how I do it and it works.

GentsInstinct - are u in the market for more cousins? :)

kwsher - checkout the wiki section. lots of good info there

Top Bottom