What's new

Why is Thayer's Aftershave More Expensive than Others?

Hello All,

I'm a newbie and I posted this question with a long list of other questions in the newbie section. I thought this might be a better section for this though.

I recently bought the "Thayer's Aftershave Witchhazel" from westcoastshaving for $6. However it is only a 4oz (...i didn't read carefully when buying) while the other toners and astringents are 12oz for $8. So I guess I have a few questions.

1) Why is the "Thayer's Aftershave Witchhazel" more expensive than the other thayer's products? Is it better than the others?

2) How is the above product different from say, the Original Astringent, besides a higher alcohol content?

3) What is the difference between an astringent and a toner, and can they both be used effectively as aftershave?

4) How do you guys apply the stuff? It doesn't have one of those rings that limits flow, so I'd probably spill it all over. I read one person mention using an "atomizer" or spray bottle. That sounds like a good idea, but I imagine I would accidently spray in my eyes...:blink:

Thanks!

Last edited:
I really like Thayer's toner, but not as an aftershave. It doesn't have that satisfying sting--basically it goes on like water. I use it on my whole face after my aftershave.

The aftershave splash, however, is pretty good. You're right, though, it is very hard not to dump out half the bottle due to the lack of a reducer.

It is expensive. But it is also really good. And you get a ton of it. The witch hazel and rosewood combination in the rose is amazing stuff. And I found it to be really good to my face in the early days when I was still working things out.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to try some of the others to compare after i finish this little (4oz) bottle. I'll probably try the Original Astringent (10%alcohol), or the superhazel (20%)

Answer to question 1/2:

Looking at the product information there appears to be no difference between the "aftershave" and the "astringents" other than the increased alcohol content. The "aftershave" may contain a different scent or a higher concentration of an ingredient. It also might be pure marketing. Note, the aftershave only comes in a 4oz bottle, and is roughly 3x as expensive as any of the other products.

I haven't used the aftershave, so I can't speak to personal experience, but I was thinking of trying it out sooner or later.

Answer to question 3:

The astringent contains alcohol, while the toner does not. The toner can be used as an aftershave, but it will not have as strong an astringent effect (if it has any) as the alcohol containing astringents.

An astringent contracts tissue, it is therefore useful as an aftershave in that it will close small nicks and relieve irritation by constricting the tissue and blood vessels. You can think of it as a chemical ice pack. The astringent will also cause drying which may be plus or minus depending on your skin type.

I use a thayer's toner after I have applied alum (annother astringent). Prior to using the Thayer's tone I used a different (more expensive) alcohol free toner, the Thayer's product was in my opinion superior.

Answer to question 4:

The astringents/toners all have flow limiting caps, I usually splash a few drops on my hand, or onto a cotton pad. I put some in an attomizer, and then poured it out for fear of getting it all over the place.

You could try getting a different container at target/walmart, ect. I know they sell 3oz travel bottles for about a buck.

Last edited:
I noticed that the superhazel has peppermint, menthol, and camphor. I don't mind the cooling effect, but does it leave you smelling like a peppermint?

The Superhazel does have a scent, but it's not an especially powerful or enduring one. It's not going to interfere with cologne.

I think it's expensive for a couple of reasons - the brand, for one. In other words, they charge more because they can. Also, it's not typical Witch Hazel, which is distilled Hamamelis Virginiana. They take extracts from Hamamelis Virginiana and add it to their own concoction, whereas Witch Hazel proper is a specific distillation technique which yields 14% alcohol (every time). That's the cheapo, $1.50 at Target Witch Hazel. Same stuff as Humphrey's or Dickinson's, which costs a little more (but less than Thayer's). So you're paying for the extra stuff and "proprietary method" which is referenced on the label.

I noticed that the superhazel has peppermint, menthol, and camphor. I don't mind the cooling effect, but does it leave you smelling like a peppermint?

The Superhazel smells to me exactly like the Sea Breeze astringent that I used in my youth.

Thanks for all the replies. Great info. I should have been more clear about the whole price thing. I was wondering specifically why the "Thayer's Aftershave" costs $18 per 12oz ($6x3 4oz bottles) while a 12oz bottle of "Thayer's Astringent" costs $8. All small bottles cost more per ounce, but that is a bit much and they don't make it in a large bottle.

I guess I'll just have to move on to the superhazel for the sake of price, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Thanks all

For me it works wonders. I splash a little on my face after I rinse it with cool water. Instant relief. I have a 12 oz. bottle that I purchased 6 months ago. I have not made a dent in the amount. For me, it's a great deal.

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just extend this one. I am putting in a drugstore.com order and was going to tack on some Thayer's to get free shipping. They don't have the SuperHazel. I was thinking Lemon or Cucumber but I've seen no reviews for Cucumber on here. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom