What's new

Looking for some brush buying advice

I currently use an EJ Medium Best Badger daily and am looking to pick up another brush. I like my current brush very much, but would like to upgrade slightly. I'm leaning towards a Simpsons based on this current promotion http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=157542 but I'm certainly up for other recommendations if anyone feels there are better values/recommendations out there (Simpsons or non)?]

As far as the knot, I'd like something at least the size of the EJ (21mm) if not slightly larger. I'd like a bit more backbone and something with softer tips (if possible).

My budget isn't exactly set in stone, but I'm thinking somewhere in the $60-120 range. I use soaps and face lather exclusively.

My only other brush is a vintage Simpsons which I like the handle of, but the knot seems a bit thin for my taste so it doesn’t get much use (I may get it re-knotted at some point). I'm not sure exactly what it's called so here's a post of mine asking for re-knotting advice for reference http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155805

As far as the Simpsons, I haven’t looked through their whole lineup as of yet, but my initial review has me liking the Duke 2 and 3.

Any recommendations within, or out of, Simpsons line would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I just bought a Simpson Colonel X2L in Best, and love it! Think it ran around $70 or so. Available from Bull Goose Shaving, and several more vendors here. I use it for face lathering soaps and creams. Dense, doesn't splay, and soft. Is softer than my C&E BBB and has much more backbone (shorter than the C&E loft).

The Ehsan looks like it could be right up your alley. Remember, it's got the Super hair, not Best. Supposedly a notch ahead, and a heck of a lot whiter, if that concerns you aesthetically.

Or a Truefitt & Hill medium-sized brush. For everlasting backbone, the recommendation goes to Style 1 (exact same as Rooneys). Don't forget to use the "bb10" discount code for 20% off.

Duke would be good, the Colonel is also a good choice. I would add the Commodore X2 or X3. Simpson's Best is excellent stuff and these can be had pretty reasonably.

If you want more of a bruiser, a Rooney 1/2 in Super is an excellent choice, right at 1-Bill. Manly brush.

Top Bottom