What's new

Is it bad for a newbie to start with a straight razor?

First post here, by the way. I've done my best to read through all of the newbie links/threads/reviews/faq, so please forgive me if I'm going over old information.

Up until this point, I've shaved with first an electric, then a cartridge razor with cheap foam. Never used a brush. I'm tired of the inevitable razor burn (sensitive, dry skin), and I'd like to start doing it right. The course of my research brought me here. My birthday is coming up, so I'm initiating a list of what I'm wanting to get.

First of all, is it a bad idea to just take the plunge and go for a straight razor right off the bat? I have pretty good dexterity with my right (shaving) hand - though my left thumb doesn't work due to an old injury. I realize that I'm in for some cuts/nicks/burn jumping without a parachute, but is this okay?

Secondly, any specific advice to someone starting out this way?

Thanks in advance!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Anyone who shaved themselves 110 years ago plunged right in to straights without using DE's as a bridge.
I suggest that you get good with your brush and soap / cream first before you start with a straight, but other than that - learning is learning.
Welcome to B&B, Glad you found us.

Be sure and read Joels Tutorial - it is golden.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28547

If a straight is what you want to shave with, then by all means start shaving with a straight.

Make sure you get a straight that is truly shave ready. If you buy one new, make sure you see the words honing or honed somewhere. Straights are NOT shave ready from the factory, no matter what they may say. Buying one used off of the BST or SRP classifieds, if it says shave ready then it will be ready to go. I can also recommend Larry Andro at www.whippeddog.com if you want to try a straight for cheaper. They ain't pretty, but they are very sharp and smooth and usually run about $33.

Since you have never used a brush before, I would suggest using a brush and cream with your cartridge razor, or just making practice lathers in a bowl to get lathering down before shaving. Shaving with a straight wants a good lather to be comfortable.

Clarence,
Go for it my man...I do not think that you need to gain experience with a DE before graduating to a str8. If you want to go str8, go for it. They are different techniques anyway.

Cuts & nicks will probably be part of the learning curve, but nothing to write home about (hopefully). As was said, make sure you have a good products that will support you in your shave:

1. Brush
2. Shave ready razor (No eBay yet)...check the B/S/T section for good buys. 5/8, round points may be a good start as some cut themselves on spike str8.
3. Good soap/creme...there's lots to choose from (TOBS, Trumper, Mama Bear, Castle Forbes, etc...)
4. Learn how to make a good lather (this was already brought up by Phil)

pre-shave prep: Very important

For technique:

1. Watch the pressure
2. Watch the angle

Good luck :thumbup1:

Cheers,
Robert

Welcome to B&B!! also, great advice on posts above, and throughout this site. Also, nothing wrong with starting with a straight

Go for it. I started with a DE which soon gave me a great shave which then set the bar too high for when I tried a straight. Go with a straight to begin with and you won't have any expectations of yourself. Go slow and enjoy. You do get there in the end.

You can do it. I learned on a DE, then started shaving with a straight razor later on. It really depends on whether you are willing to spend a little more time on each shave. I am currently using a DE on work days, and a straight razor on the week-ends. The time factor in the mornings on work days is just a bit much for getting a good straight razor shave for me.

As the others have said, getting a razor which is truly ready to use is essential.

First post here, by the way. I've done my best to read through all of the newbie links/threads/reviews/faq, so please forgive me if I'm going over old information.

Up until this point, I've shaved with first an electric, then a cartridge razor with cheap foam. Never used a brush. I'm tired of the inevitable razor burn (sensitive, dry skin), and I'd like to start doing it right. The course of my research brought me here. My birthday is coming up, so I'm initiating a list of what I'm wanting to get.

First of all, is it a bad idea to just take the plunge and go for a straight razor right off the bat? I have pretty good dexterity with my right (shaving) hand - though my left thumb doesn't work due to an old injury. I realize that I'm in for some cuts/nicks/burn jumping without a parachute, but is this okay?

Secondly, any specific advice to someone starting out this way?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the B&B...and I am just getting ready to lather up here in a few...this will be my first run at shaving with a straight.
Larry Andro at www.whippeddog.com has made my first steps/transition into shaving with straights...informative, affordable, and comfortable. He is easy to talk to, and I don't believe you could go wrong providing him your contact info...and spending some chat time.
I did, and it has worth every minute.
Obviously the community here is awesome...with great advice, reviews, and prompt replies (as above) to your questions.:thumbup1:

Go for it!
:001_cool:

Remember, there are 3 parallel learning curves you're going to embark on -

1. Creating lather with a brush
2. Learning multi-pass reduction techniques following direction of hair growth patterns.
3. Shaving with your chosen razor (cart/DE/SE/Straight)

The first 2 are simple but take a couple weeks to really get down. I would focus on perfecting those while using your cart razor, you'll be surprised at how much better your shaves get just from that alone.

Straight shaving is, from what I read, subject to a very steep learning curve that's months long so you don't want to be messing around with those other techniques at the same time.

Since you have never used a brush before, I would suggest using a brush and cream with your cartridge razor, or just making practice lathers in a bowl to get lathering down before shaving. Shaving with a straight wants a good lather to be comfortable.

I will second this motion.

Learning to use a straight will be vastly more difficult if you are also dealing with inadequate lather as well.

The importance of being able to make a top quality lather can't be overemphasized. Lather will make, or break a shave: good lather will protect your face from the blade, bad lather will ensure for far more cuts.

Definitely not bad to start with a straight.

Welcome to B&B.

Take it slow, learn to lather and use your brush.

As with anything you will get better with time and practice.

Firstly, buy a brush and shave soap, and start lathering. Practice making lather. Get it slick, get it smooth. Know what decent lather feels like when you're massaging it onto your face with a shave brush. Learn how long it'll stay on your face without drying out (so you'll know when to relather your face). You want to make sure you'll have less variables when you finally start with a straight razor.

For anyone, I'd recommend getting a decent soap to start (Cella), as well as a cream (Proraso if you like menthol, or Taylor of Old Bond Street). As far as brushes go, well.... I'll always recommend a boar, like the Semogue 830 or 1305, or an Omega 31025.

If you want to get your skin used to feeling a razor's edge, an inexpensive pack of single or double-bladed disposables will help prepare you.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I started with a straight then worked my way to DE's and injectors. Now I'm pretty much back to a straight.

The learning curve is a bit steeper with the straight, but nothing that can't be mastered.

Remember, there are 3 parallel learning curves you're going to embark on -

1. Creating lather with a brush
2. Learning multi-pass reduction techniques following direction of hair growth patterns.
3. Shaving with your chosen razor (cart/DE/SE/Straight)

The first 2 are simple but take a couple weeks to really get down. I would focus on perfecting those while using your cart razor, you'll be surprised at how much better your shaves get just from that alone.

Straight shaving is, from what I read, subject to a very steep learning curve that's months long so you don't want to be messing around with those other techniques at the same time.

Second that. And add learning to strop the blade as well.

I had a try after a year with a DE, and 1 and 2 were sorted. I still couldn't get the hang of a straight.

It's a learning experience that will take time, patience and practice. Some get it quicker than others, some not at all.

You need to get the feel for good lather. Not all products will look the same when in their usuable state.

My introduction to proper wetshaving was with a straight back around '93. If you want to try, go for it! Back then, someone told me to learn how to shave a balloon before moving to my face. So I did - it resulted in a few messes before I moved onto experimenting on parts of my arms and upper thighs. All went well and I eventually started getting good shaves on my face.

I've since moved to DE because I can toss blades instead of maintaining them, and straight shaves take a bit longer. But I still have and love my straights. Once life settles down a little and free time opens up, I'd like to get back into using a straight.

Top Bottom