What's new

Russian Roulette

Hi All:

Newbie here!!

I just had my first wet shave tonight with a Merkur Futur!

My story:

I have been reading a bunch of these Wet Shave Forums for the last 2 -3 weeks and decided I wanted to obtain the perfect shave for a decent price. I was tired of paying a lot of cash for the Gillette Mach 3 cartridges.

A few days ago I decided to call classicshaving.com and order a Merkur HD - the CS consultant said a Futur would be better for me because I have a heavy coarse beard - so, I ordered the Futur. I then ordered a Vulfix brush, shaving creams and soaps from a different company. I also ordered the Letter K blade sampler.

The Futur arrived today, however the Vulfix brush and creams were no where to be seen. I was obsessed with handling and staring at the Futur -- it seemed so fined tuned and precision compared to a Mach 3 handle.

Anyway, I could not stand it any longer, I had to have my first we shave. I jumped into the shower and kept splashing hot water on my face. The only shave cream I had was the Edge Active cream in a tube. I rubbed that on my face and proceeded to gently glide the Futur over my stubble. I just let the weight of the razor do the work (after reading so many posts about letting the razor do it's job - I was terrified to use any pressure).

I did 2 WTG passes and 1 XTG pass - I was too nervous to go ATG.

I could not believe how effective wet shaving is -- I got a very close shave, a tad better than the Mach 3 and it was only my first time wet shaving. It took me about 35 minutes but I only had 1 tiny nick (and I think that was just opening up a Mach 3 nick).

I am definitely a convert - I know I am a long way from being a master but the ride sure is going to be fun.

Thanks to everyone on this forum -- I read a ton of posts and I am sure w/o you guys my face would have been hamburger.

Nice. Welcome aboard the wetshaving express, there lynnvin! Once you get the brush and some nice creams you'll REALLY love it. The shaves only get better!

Welcome! I agree with palmetto...once you get the creams and brush you'll be AMAZED. Beware, though...from creams you'll start with the aftershaves, then you'll progress to the EDTs...soon your acquisition disorders will CONTROL you!

Seriously, though...ask any questions you might have (even if you think they're stupid)...people here are incredibly helpful and gentlemanly.

Just don't go getting cocky! That razor will spank you proper if you forget who's in charge. Nice and slow is the key. Eventually you will get faster naturally, so don't rush it up front.

Welcome Lynn,
As a newbie myself I am always happy to read a post where the first DE shave went so well. Anyone who has read my posts knows I am taking the scenic route to my first. If I can state the obvious here, the specialized resources available through B&B are astounding! Who woulda thunk that a site dedicated to shaving of all things would be so addictive.
So do like everyone says, ask all the questions that come to mind and check out Leisureguy, Kyle and Mantis contributions not just here, but on Micheal's (Leisureguy) blog and on Youtube for the shaving videos by Mantis.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You didn't mention which blade you used. If it's the one that come with the Merkur, toss it immediately! Those are usually in pretty sad shape by the time they get to you.

Have fun, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Keep an eye on the shave mall forum as well- there are often free items available for newbies.

The funny part is - once you get pretty good with a DE you'll find it nearly impossible to nick yourself with a cartridge razor.

Just don't go getting cocky! That razor will spank you proper if you forget who's in charge. Nice and slow is the key. Eventually you will get faster naturally, so don't rush it up front.

+1

I started with a Futur and whilst it's a really nice razor, it's very often considered quite unforgiving in the hands of someone new to wetshaving. Just take it slow and easy, and always concentrate. :smile:

Lynn..Welcome to B&B. I too love the Futur. Has become my go to razor. Keep us updated when you get your Vulfix. Good Luck:taz:

Welcome Lynn. I'm happy to hear things are headed your way. Experiment with different blades because you'll be surprised the different combinations will make in razors and blades.

Enjoy and experiment often!

Lynn welcome and your going to like having jumped on this train.

If the Futur is just a little too much at first, drop back to a Merkur Progress, which imo, is the most forgiving razor around.

My story:

I have been reading a bunch of these Wet Shave Forums for the last 2 -3 weeks and decided I wanted to obtain the perfect shave for a decent price. I was tired of paying a lot of cash for the Gillette Mach 3 cartridges.

Heh, heh. I started wet shaving for the same reason. Now, I have spent at least twenty times as much on razors, blades, brushes, soaps, creams, lotions, aftershaves, balms, etc as I would have spent on Gillette cartridges.

However, I am having a great time and enjoying every bit of it!

Tim

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

+2 and welcome!

Thanks to everyone for your warm welcome!!

I will definitely keep everyone updated once my brushes and creams arrive.

I have not performed my second shave yet - will wait until Sunday or Monday.Also, thanks for the advice on ditching the Merkur Blade that came with the Futur.

I ordered and recieved Letter K's blade sampler. Any suggestions on which blade I should start with -- a blade that woulld be good for a Newbie?

I keep checking ebay for other DE Razors - but - I am taking the advice of all the posts that I read about staying with 1 razor and 1 type of blade for at least a couple months.

Thanks Again!!

If you're looking on ebay look for ugly razors. I don't mean corroded, but look for ones that aren't "pretty". collectors and silly buggers drive the prices up way too high on the "pretty" ones.

Top Bottom