Hi all, great site and a ton of valuable information - both for the seasoned and inexperienced.
I began using a Merkur 38C two weeks ago with a Van der Hagen brush and soap set picked up at the local supermarket.
Having always viewed shaving as a chore, for 20 years I have never shaved on the weekends as I wanted the respite (used standard mass market multi-blades and cream). Now I love it!
I have much to learn but have made progress in the art of using a DE razor - read I don't nick myself except for the rare occasion and have at least learned to let the weight of the razor do the work while taking my time and enjoying the process of beard reduction.
I have been reading a lot of the old threads but thought I would ask a few questions nonetheless.
1. What is the best method for creating great lather using soap and brush? Know that opinions will vary but wanted to try a few different things.
2. What are some "must try" soaps and some "must avoid" as well?
3. What are some "must try" blades? I have tried Feather, Derby and Lords. Thus far I like the Feather best.
4. I was thinking of picking up a good brush and was leaning toward the Rooney 3/1 as a good all rounder. Any other suggestions to ad to the list?
5. What's the best non-custom stand out there?
6. Any good reference threads/sites on technique etc. that I should also visit? [I just noticed a handful of links in another new thread; great info!]