What's new

Knife sharpening

S

Sam

Ok, got one knife, may get another. I am thinking I would like to sharpen them and maybe kitchen knives and scissors. So, I am told that there is a Spyderco Sharpmaker, Lansky system, Smith stones, and then the plain old waterstones or oilstones. I dont want to put a lot of money into it, but I do not want to get some cheap thing (and it may not be cheaply made) like those handheld Wusthoff sharpners with the finger things.

Suggestions?

I have been using a lansky system that looks like this one. I also purchased a sapphire stone that goes with this kit, for a final step.
proxy.php

I have a Smith brand "stone" it is double sided (course and fine), It stores in the handle and is very nice for camping/hunting or travel. LINK

This will all depend on your needs. For me I use the Lansky at home when I have some time and want a razor sharp knife. The Lansky system allows for the same angle the entire way down the blade, and due to this can create a very sharp and durable edge, but the Smith is great for quick touch ups while I am camping etc.
This is just my limited veiw of these two products, and I have only ever used the one smith product, they have many other items that seem to look good.
If you are only going to buy one kit/system my vote goes to one of the many Lansky kits.

The only sharpening system I have used (besides cheap electric sharpeners) is the spyderco system. It is well designed and, if properly used and cared for, will last a lifetime. The ceramic rods will break though if dropped, so be aware of that. The whole system packs up quickly and neatly into the base and so it is easy to store someplace safe. If you need to sharpen faster or sharpen particularly hard steel spyderco also sells diamond rods for the system that will cut much, much faster. I have sharpened dozens of knives on the stock rods though and never felt the need for anything more.

For me it's all about DMT dia-folds and a well loaded strop. I sharpen down to green and then go to the strop.

The trick is to get a wood backed strop and use a lot of pressure, but make sure not to round over the edge.

Good luck,

Dave

I have one of those cheap $5 hand-held sharpeners. It works more than well enough. Has 2 strips of whatever stone that is, crossed over each other in a V shape. Just run the blade through 4 or 5 times and it's sharp enough to slice though anything.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The Lansky is a great system. Always remember to set the clamp on your knife in the same position, for best results.

Legion

Staff member
I have the Spyderco and am pretty happy with it for most things. Very easy to use and keep the bevel angle constant, which is the hard part of using a conventional bench stone. Also you use it dry which keeps the mess down.

+1 on the Spyderco. I have 3 pocket knives I carry on different occasions, and I like to keep all of them stupid sharp. When I start to notice one of them dulling slightly, I pull out the Sharpmaker, and 3-5 minutes later, my knife is razor sharp yet again, ready to separate atoms with ease!:thumbup1:

Top Bottom