What's new

Two mythical blades compared; Feather & Merkur

I know blades are about as YMMV as it gets; I don't want to put an absolute verdict on these two blades but since they both seem to have a mythical status on B&B, Merkur very bad/superblunt and Feather great/supersharp, I simply couldn't resist to tell you how they behave and were they stand in my shave den. Just an attempt to put things into perspective based on an (at least I think so) unbiassed encounter with both of them.

First of all; I am an experienced DE shaver (since '90) and I started with neither of these blades so I never used them as an inexperienced shaver. I like them both but neither of them has the right qualities nor the right value/quality ratio to be one of my favs. That said I like them both enough to use them every now and then and have a pack of both around if just for the sake of variety. I don't buy these blades in bulk so I pay about the same for a 10-pack of each; between 4,50 and 5 euro.

Both shave well; I could easily live in a world were no other blades were available. To get a DFS/BBS shave both need 3 passes to get there but after only 2 passes the Feather is closer than the Merkur. At the same time a 2-pass shave with either delivers a fine shave that is presentable as well as close. Usually I use a 2-pass shave with the Feather and a 3-pass shave with the Merkur. As such the Merkur shave is slightly closer but not by much.

The funny thing is that both blades when used like that give me the same number of shaves which is 3; so I get 6 passes out of a Feather and 9 out of a Merkur. Both are over 15 cents a shave and I can get 3 nicer shaves out of a 15 cents blade (Lord SS) so as far as economics go they are both completely out.

Both blades certainly feel different but they are neither supersmooth nor harsh. A 2/3-pass shave delivers no problems for my skin. Both have something else in common; when overstretched they both get nasty, especially the Feather can go bad with hardly any warning. A matter of counting the passes.

A thing on the legendary sharpness of the Feathers. Yes they are sharp and one of the sharper blades I used but with other good blades I think the difference is marginal. They are good enough to go ATG on the second pass but so are my Lords (which are way more comfortable ATG) and Elios. But the legendary sharpness is a bit overdone here and there; they didn't give me more nicks than other blades and I never felt an endangered species using them. Blades I do dislike for being blunt or having an edge without staying power (like 7A.M., Sharp, Derby or Dorco, both the ST's 300 and 301) gave me far more discomfort than the Feathers ever did.

The legendary pulling and tugging of the Merkurs never happened to me either. I have a handfull of blades I really love, a handfull of blades, including Feather as well as Merkur, I really like and used dozens and dozens that don't even come close. In total I used over 50 different blades (low estimate) and both Feather and Merkur are in my top 10 but not very high.

So all in all both blades come a little short, both in price and comfort, to become a real favourite but both are more than adequate for the job. At the same time their scores are very much alike. At least in my shave den.

Hopes this helps for those staying away from both of these blades to give them a try. You should!! :001_rolle

Thanks for this comparison!

YMMV of course but just for fun: what are your top 10 blades?

Top 3: Lord SS, Souplex and NOS Schick Plus Platinum (made in Amsterdam)

It depends on my mood and the razor which one is my absolute #1.

After that we have:

4. Lord Platinum/Super Chrome (I think they are the same)
5. Elios
6. HEMA (mostly because they are cheap and locally available)

Four more to make it a top-10; Feather, Merkur, Gillette 7 O'Clock super Platinum (India) and Personna Medical.

Close to the first ten are the green Gillette 7 O'Clocks from India, the Gillette Super Thins (Shanghai), the red IP's and Astra SS.

This is why I continue to have a problem with Wil's thesis that Feather is the measure of all blades.
Thank you for saying what I have been unprepared to articulate.
-- Chet

Thanks for the post. It seems like Feathers get all the praise around here and Murkers are automatically dismissed as being horrible.

So far, I like Feathers a lot, and I also like Derby a lot. I get 6-8 good shaves with a Derby, so I can't complain. They work for me. The Feather is nice in that it takes fewer passes. Shark is another one I've had good luck with.
Racer(by Lord) works really well for me out of my EJ DE87, but tears me up in a Tech or SS. Go figure.:001_huh:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I didn't like Feathers or Merkurs. I found them both a bit harsh. For me the Merkurs lasted longer.

Top 3: Lord SS, Souplex and NOS Schick Plus Platinum (made in Amsterdam)

Not that I have tried all the blades out there are but of the following, interesting enough, Lord SS certainly was the worst by a large margin:

Feather Hi-Stainless
Derby Extra
Gillette Platinum
BIC Chrome
PolSilver Super Iridium
Wilkinson Sword
Lord Stainless
Israeli Personna
Triton R3
Gillette Spoiler

This is why I continue to have a problem with Wil's thesis that Feather is the measure of all blades.
Thank you for saying what I have been unprepared to articulate.
-- Chet

And that is exactly why there's a wink before that thread title :laugh: I used that title just because there is so much fuss about Feather. I do like them, a lot. But there are other blades like the Treet carbon, that for me are about as sharp and smooth but only cost 3 cents per shave. Feather comes at about 8 cents when I use them 4 times (which I could not until recently; before it was just one shave at 32 cents).

Blade options make my head spin..

I haven't a good enough technique, repeatable, to take my shaving mechanics out of the equation as a variable. No real way I can audit results with one blade over another until I have better, more repeatable technique.

Right now, my two razors are loaded with Derby's... Seem to be working just fine.

I have a bag full of blade samples, with two packs of Feathers in there, but I am holding off on different blades for a while.

That said, the Merkur that came with my Futur, while unbent, was un-memorable...:bored:

Blades are different for each person because of a number of factors. For example, a sharp blade can remain sharp for a number of shaves for a person with moderate beard density and typical hair. However, that same blade can dull quickly for someone with a tough beard and dense growth, with a blade with a more "blunt" hone can remain sharper for longer. Other things like like beard preparation can also determine blade longevity.

Blades are different for each person because of a number of factors. For example, a sharp blade can remain sharp for a number of shaves for a person with moderate beard density and typical hair. However, that same blade can dull quickly for someone with a tough beard and dense growth, with a blade with a more "blunt" hone can remain sharper for longer. Other things like like beard preparation can also determine blade longevity.

Nice custom title, btw. I will use my Palmolive stick for the evening shave :thumbup1:

Merkur blades are better in my opinion than a lot of other blades.
Why?
They have a constancy that other blades don't have.
They might not be the sharper blade around, that's for sure, but at least from shave 1 to shave 6 or 7 they will shave the same.

But there are other blades like the Treet carbon, that for me are about as sharp and smooth but only cost 3 cents per shave. Feather comes at about 8 cents when I use them 4 times (which I could not until recently; before it was just one shave at 32 cents).

I am confused over cost per shave calculations that look at the price of blade. Probably most of us spend more on hot water alone per shave than the actual blade per shave cost, so reality is that this is just nitpicking at these blade prices.

I could not care less if the price per shave is 4 cent or 8 cent or whatever. DE blades are the cheapest item we use in wet shaving anyway... Unless someone comes economizing and calculating how much Arko stick (worth some 30 cent in total) is used per one pass and decides it is cheaper to use two passes instead of three. Or calculates how much a single brush stroke costs, based on brush price and an average lifespan.

I do have respect for those who use DE razors for purely economical reasons of them being poor, but I suspect that those people seldom hang out in shaving forums as they hardly can afford a PC.

However, I don't even know what to think about those who go out buying $200-$300 razors only to end up counting whether they will spend 2 cent or 3 cent per shave on a blade.

Dunno, it may be a cultural thing but, dear, I am so pleased I come from some other universe where you buy what you can afford and surely try to enjoy it to the max, no matter how small and insignificant they may be, without breaking it into price per use cost.

I am confused over cost per shave calculations that look at the price of blade. Probably most of us spend more on hot water alone per shave than the actual blade per shave cost, so reality is that this is just nitpicking at these blade prices.

I could not care less if the price per shave is 4 cent or 8 cent or whatever. DE blades are the cheapest item we use in wet shaving anyway... Unless someone comes economizing and calculating how much Arko stick (worth some 30 cent in total) is used per one pass and decides it is cheaper to use two passes instead of three. Or calculates how much a single brush stroke costs, based on brush price and an average lifespan.

I do have respect for those who use DE razors for purely economical reasons of them being poor, but I suspect that those people seldom hang out in shaving forums as they hardly can afford a PC.

However, I don't even know what to think about those who go out buying $200-$300 razors only to end up counting whether they will spend 2 cent or 3 cent per shave on a blade.

Dunno, it may be a cultural thing but, dear, I am so pleased I come from some other universe where you buy what you can afford and surely try to enjoy it to the max, no matter how small and insignificant they may be, without breaking it into price per use cost.

I am an accountant, so I always calculate, even when I should not. The house belongs to my wife, so she pays for the water ;) The Feather ASR was a gift, I would never have bought it myself, eventho I can afford it. The soap I use now (Palmolive stick) was a gift and the brush was a gift. Otherwise I would have taken all that in account aswell ;).

Last edited:
And that is exactly why there's a wink before that thread title :laugh: I used that title just because there is so much fuss about Feather. I do like them, a lot. But there are other blades like the Treet carbon, that for me are about as sharp and smooth but only cost 3 cents per shave. Feather comes at about 8 cents when I use them 4 times (which I could not until recently; before it was just one shave at 32 cents).

No offense intended, by the way...

It can be a joke thesis and still be a thesis. I haven't re-read the whole thread, but I don't recall seeing another blade (except feather) rate a 10. (correct my recollection if I've let something slip by, please) I do keep current with the thread, as it clues me in to some blade brands and variants I've not heard of, so it's helpful and interesting, regardless. That's also why the joke falls away, to some degree.

Maybe I'll have to look up those Treet Carbons.
-- Chet

No offense intended, by the way...

It can be a joke thesis and still be a thesis. I haven't re-read the whole thread, but I don't recall seeing another blade (except feather) rate a 10. (correct my recollection if I've let something slip by, please) I do keep current with the thread, as it clues me in to some blade brands and variants I've not heard of, so it's helpful and interesting, regardless. That's also why the joke falls away, to some degree.

Maybe I'll have to look up those Treet Carbons.
-- Chet

I am not easily offended :laugh:. With the Enigma (the razor I use for the testing) Astra Platinum and SuperMax Sunrise were also 10. In fact for me they outperformed Feather. In the Feather ASR I would say Treet carbons are 10 too. Carbons are not for everybody, but I would check them out. If they work for you, they are great blades.

Top Bottom