What's new

Was talking to my Dad

He used to use a Gem safety razor for as long as I can remember, I'm 51 and he is now 84. For the past few years he has sported a beard, I was telling him I had bought some wet shaving stuff and was now using a DE razor.

He goes on to tell me he wished he could find himself one but can't seem to locate one. I asked him why; you have the beard. He tells me the reason he has the beard is because he hates shaving with the new type razors. So I go on to tell him they can be had on line. He said if he could get one he would shave his beard off. So when he asked how much they were I told him not to worry about it, I'll pick one up for him.

The beard is now history.

I looked at several different makes, models and ended up with Weishi. I wanted to stay with a TTO number as Pops isn't all that steady on his feet now days and a 3 piece I thought would complicate things for the ol boy. He mainly sits in his chair most of the day. One positive thing with getting him shaving again is he at least gets up and walks to the bathroom too. Even the littlest bit of exercise has to do him good.

He reports that the Weishi is to his liking but the Walmart blades wasn't so when I went up there a few days ago I took him some Personna Reds. He hasn't reported back on them but I suspect he will like em.

Now he looks forward to his shave everyday.

Last edited:
Awesome story. You have done well for your father. The small things in life can make all the difference in our level of happiness. :w00t::w00t:

By the way, is he using a brush, and shaving cream/ shaving soap too??

Is it not amazing what wet shaving can do to a man? Congratulations, I only hope I will have as much success this summer when I try to convert my father from electric shaves and M3 touch-ups to full wet shaving with a DE.

Awesome story. You have done well for your father. The small things in life can make all the difference in our level of happiness. :w00t::w00t:

By the way, is he using a brush, and shaving cream/ shaving soap too??

I forgot to mention I also gave him a boar brush (VDH) and some soap (VDH). He still had his old brush and some Williams soap that must have been a decade old.

I told him to let me know when he needs more supplies, they're on me.

My dads about to celebrate his 96th birthday and I would love to do the same. He used to shave with a DE a long time ago but has used an electric for the past 40 years. In his case though I won't even try he's too set in his ways now though he's in pretty good shape and gets around pretty good. I once mentioned a straight to him a few years ago and he looked at me like I was crazy.

Great little story! My dad never used a DE I don't think, but I snagged him some fun stuff (brush and a soap) for Father's Day. Hopefully it'll make his mornings just a little brighter.

He used to use a Gem safety razor for as long as I can remember, I'm 51 and he is now 84. For the past few years he has sported a beard, I was telling him I had bought some wet shaving stuff and was now using a DE razor.

He goes on to tell me he wished he could find himself one but can't seem to locate one. I asked him why; you have the beard. He tells me the reason he has the beard is because he hates shaving with the new type razors. So I go on to tell him they can be had on line. He said if he could get one he would shave his beard off. So when he asked how much they were I told him not to worry about it, I'll pick one up for him.

The beard is now history.

I looked at several different makes, models and ended up with Weishi. I wanted to stay with a TTO number as Pops isn't all that steady on his feet now days and a 3 piece I thought would complicate things for the ol boy. He mainly sits in his chair most of the day. One positive thing with getting him shaving again is he at least gets up and walks to the bathroom too. Even the littlest bit of exercise has to do him good.

He reports that the Weishi is to his liking but the Walmart blades wasn't so when I went up there a few days ago I took him some Personna Reds. He hasn't reported back on them but I suspect he will like em.

Now he looks forward to his shave everyday.

Now, that to me is some serious father & son bonding taking place. Great story Rick :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing

Cheers,
Robert

That is an awesome story! That little bit of exercise surely will help. I'd also think that now he's clean shaven and not saddled with a grubby beard that will do some good as well.

Not quite along the same lines as your story, but similar. My wife and I are currently living with her parents and I started DE shaving a little over two weeks ago. Well, her mother spies my brush and razor in our bathroom and starts asking me about it. Apparently whenever they lived in Poland (they've been in the US now for 17 years) my father-in-law used to DE shave with a brush and all that. When they moved over here he stopped because he couldn't find any of the supplies he needed and so he switched to disposables. I've showed him my setup and he seemed interested so we shall see. His birthday is coming up so a DE and a brush might be a good gift!

Thanks for sharing. That is a great story. I treasure the memories I have of shaving with my father when I was little. My blade may have been made by Mattel, but I wish he was still here today to share a shave.

I'm glad to see your Dad doing what he wants, and with your help. He gets a bit more control, and a better shave. Great story.

Congrats. Nice story. What kind of GEM did he use?

I don't know what model it was. What I do recall is; it was a TTO model. I could have sworn it was a Gillette but he told me it was a Gem. I looked around to find one to buy him but no luck on that one.

Top Bottom