What's new

Dr Martens Boots/Shoes?

Any body like these? I don't think they are made in England any more, some far eastern location I believe produce them now. This year marks their 50th year of production. Boots are not really the things to wear for the summer unless you like steaming socks so i may have a look around for their 3 eyelet shoe version.

I have two pairs of British Doc Martens and I love them. And you're correct - they're made in China now - and I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

I haven't owned a pair in years but they were very hard wearing comfortable boots.
Are all DM made in China now or is there an English made version too?..

Last edited:
Docs are great, been wearing them ever since scoring my first pair of 10-eye boots way back in the 9th grade. Most manufacturing is now done in China, unfortunately, as this causes a number of issues with fitment and overall quality. However, there are still some still made in the UK to higher standards. These "good" Docs have the designation "Vintage" added to them. Of course to be sure you're getting the made in England line, always buy from reputable sources. The vintage Docs are more expensive, but they don't feel like crap on your feet (unlike the Chinese Docs), and last a good long while. I've a pair of the vintage line 3-eye oxfords and find them to be excellent. Here's a link to the site where I purchased mine (no affiliation) http://www.dmusastore.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=Vintage

I didn't know about the Vintage line. It's cool that they still manufacture some in England, but to be honest the China thing kinda tarnishes the entire brand for me.

I've got a pair of Docs that I've had for about three years now. I think they were made in England (I'm not home, otherwise I'd check). They are the most comforatable, and durable boots I own.

I have a couple of pair; one boot, one wingtip.

Don't wear the boots much, but I wear the heck out of the wingtips. This is the second pair I'll have gone through.

I have several pair of Docs from shoes to boots but these are by far my favorites:

proxy.php

And interestingly, even Ugg boots are made in China now. According to some of the people who work for the company (including Deckers Outdoors, maker of Ugg,) there are different types of factories in China ranging from sweatshop to high quality. Sadly, China still carries the sweatshop stigma.

Concerning Doc Martens, I have not tried on the vintage line, so I cannot say how they feel, but many sources say it is higher quality than the typical ones bought anywhere. A cool UK exclusive feature to Doc Martens is that they can be resoled; however, this can only be done in the UK, and they do not do mail repair services like Cole Haan does.

Definitely wanted a pair of these (1461's) back in high school (when you go to a private school it seems like everyone has that style) but my parent's wouldn't buy them and by the time I had a job I wanted to spend my cash on other things. I always wore the knock off Sketchers, which I can only imagine are worse than the Chinese Docs but I've never owned a really nice pair of shoes so I don't know the difference.

Now that I'm all grown up I'll see them in store every once in a while but I just prefer different styles now, not that it doesn't keep me from trying them on.

I buy my DM's on-line from Cloggs, i can't write off the Chinese versions completely, maybe that's down to the fact that i treat mine to a little neatsfoot oil from time to time so they seem to be going strong even after several years. My current favourites are these which my wife bought me for our 10th wedding anniversary.

If you want high quality shoes of the casual type get a pair of Mephisto's. They are still made in Europe and though pricey if well cared for they will last indefinitely and they have resoling sites all over.

Top Bottom