What's new

RIP George Steinbrenner

Various reports are saying that George Steinbrenner has passed away this morning from a massive heart attack at his home in Tampa.

I am not a Yankee's fan, but still a sad lost for baseball.

I read an article saying that under his ownership the Yankees won 11 AL pennants and 7 World Series titles. Not a bad run.

I agree. I am not a Yanks fan either. I am a lifelong Met's fan. But you cant argue his credentials and career long stats as an owner..

R

rodeo

Not to mention he likely holds the record for hiring and firing Managers too!

R.I.P. George - The Yankee's just won't be the same without you....

Can't watch more then 1 inning of baseball anyway, I'm a die hard American Football Fan here - (no not that silly soccer stuff)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Love him or hate him, he transformed the game. His purchase price of the Yanks in 1973 looks like a pretty good investment.

Lots can be said and many will. Was sort of an enigma. Wanted to win and sometimes did things in an ugly way. Very charitable person and would do anything for the fans. Made that $8.7 Million investment really pay off.

And lets not forget, that Bob Sheppard just passed away also. In my opinion, the best stadium announcer ever.

R

rodeo

I love the Seinfeld spoofs of George sitting behind his desk in his office, and getting off on silly tangents etc....

The Seinfeld show did a great job with that..

My dad trained racehorses for Mr Steinbrenner back in the 80's. At the time he owned a farm in Ocala, FL (Kinsman Stud), and we lived there for a couple of years. I was about 11-12 and my little brother was about 4-5. Every so often, Mr. Steinbrenner would come to visit, and drive us around the farm on his golf cart. When he wasn't in town, he allowed us to use the pool up at "the big house". I know he has a reputation in the world of business and baseball, but I'll always remember him as a very nice man.

Wow. I had no idea he was ill. I think he's the type of character that you just figure he's going to live forever. I don't follow baseball, but of course I know George Steinbrenner. I've never cared for the Yankees, but I've always respected them. Thanks to Seinfeld, Mr. Steinbrenner is a part of pop culture. Love him or hate him, he was a great owner for Yankee fans - shrewd, confident and 100% dedicated to winning. He carried on the Yankee dynasty. It's nice that he got one more title before he passed on.

For a short time I was a guidance counselor at the high school (Culver) that his son and daughter were attending. Got to know him personally. What a class act.

RIP George.

For a short time I was a guidance counselor at the high school (Culver) that his son and daughter were attending. Got to know him personally. What a class act.

RIP George.

+1. I was on a scholarship at Culver during the same time Steinbrenner's granddaughter was at the school. He came back to take his granddaughter out to dinner in town (The Edge or Corndance). I was only there through the generosity of Steinbrenner and the other alums that made big contributions to the Annual Fund and Endowment. My own family couldn't afford it. Steinbrenner donated a state of the art fitness facility to the school and time in that facility really contributed to the development of my athletic talents to the degree that I got a college athletic scholarship as a result. He'll be missed at Culver and the many other organizations he supported. And yes, despite the shenanigans with his ball club, he was a very nice gentleman with a big heart and genuine interest in people.

Lots can be said and many will. Was sort of an enigma. Wanted to win and sometimes did things in an ugly way. Very charitable person and would do anything for the fans. Made that $8.7 Million investment really pay off.

Very well said. I can't knock his success but I did find the way he went about his business distasteful. I don't think MLB wants Mark Cuban (NBA Dallas Mavericks owner) to own a baseball team because they don't want another Steinbrenner.

RIP George.

As a shaving forum, let's not forget his policy on being well groomed and clean shaven (mustaches only).

I heard Billy Martin was going to be a pallbearer:001_unsur

I think the handling of Billy Martin is what made me dislike Steinbrenner. Martin clearly didn't have the self-control needed to manage a baseball team and yet Steinbrenner kept bringing him back (5 times in all) and provoking him until he self-destructed. I think Martin kept coming back because the Yankees were his life but I would be shocked if he didn't hate Steinbrenner.

I have definitely heard of some of the acts of kindness Steinbrenner was known to do. For instance, he picked up Yankee legend Elston Howard's funeral expenses. He brought Roger Maris and Jim Bouton (Ball Four) back into the Yankee fold and healed those strained relationships. But I would be lying if I said I didn't remember Steinbrenner best for his abusive behavior toward his baseball people.

Top Bottom