What's new

Muhle r41 vs Merkur 12c

Hello my knowledgeable friends. I have read some post that the heads on these razor are the same, while some other post say they are different. Does any know if they are, I believe they are both quality items. I would be interested in any comments you could make.

Thank you

Crom

I do not own a Muhle, but I do own a Merkur OC, and from what I can tell the head design is exactly the same, aside from the R41 being a three-piece razor and the 12c being a two-piece.

The older-style Muhle R41 is not a Merkur head. It is noticeably more aggressive.

Here is a new (Merkur head) Muhle R41: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3314/3303499059_a21b43681e.jpg

Here is the older style Muhle R41: http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8563/p1000263.jpg

I have heard that the finish on a Muhle is superior to Merkur's, but many Merkur owners (including myself) have never had any problems with the finish on their razors.

They are definitely both quality items. The 12c is a much heavier razor at 4oz (the R41 is about 2.2oz), and is a two-piece rather than a three-piece. That about sums up the differences between the two. You can't go wrong either way.

May we also say all Merkur three-piece open comb heads are all the same ? Same dimensions, same performances. Besides their handles, there is no difference between Merkur 25c, 15c, 11c (HD). Is that correct ?

May we also say all Merkur three-piece open comb heads are all the same ? Same dimensions, same performances. Besides their handles, there is no difference between Merkur 25c, 15c, 11c (HD). Is that correct ?

My understanding is that you're correct, the heads on currently produced razors are the same on all of them. I've used an 11C, 12C and 1904OC and while their heads all look identical, the 11C I had was ever so slightly milder that the other two. May have just been something about that one razor, however.

I like the open combs because they perform better with ATG on my upper lip than any of the solid bar razors I've used.

Top Bottom