What's new

Vacationing with my Red Tip

I'll be vacationing in London for 3 weeks as of this comming Sunday. Is it worth it bringing along my Gillette Red Tip? I'm paranoid that it's gonna get damaged in transit, or the case will crack, etc. Its not something that can be brought onboard as carry on.........

You shouldn't have any problems bringing items safely in checked baggage. I've been travelling for years and it's merely a matter packing your shaving items correctly. You can also use a different carrying case, such a velvet bag you get from those Crown Royal bottles or a plastic, resealable container.

You shouldn't have any problems bringing items safely in checked baggage. I've been travelling for years and it's merely a matter packing your shaving items correctly. You can also use a different carrying case, such a velvet bag you get from those Crown Royal bottles or a plastic, resealable container.

You mean if I pack my blades in the checked bad, the carry on should be ok for the razor itself?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You already know about Murphy's law... "Anything that can happen, will happen, given enough time." What you may never have learned, is Slash's Law: (1)"Something's gonna happen." (2)"Something ALWAYS happens." Now, you might not see much difference, but there is a really, really big difference. Murphy doesn't allow for impossible occurrences. How many times have you seen or experienced something and said to nobody in particular, "No way... no ##ckin' way!" What you witnessed was something impossible. Yet, it did undeniably happen, right? So you see, not only will things that can happen, happen, but even those things that cannot happen will still happen, and bite you in the *** when you least expect. That's where Slash's law kicks in. Slash's law makes no distinction between the possible and the impossible, since the impossible happens with distressing frequency indeed.

Okay, now that we understand Slash's law, how might that apply to a prized posession in checked baggage?

If your Red Tip is precious to you, then you might consider taking a less valuable razor with you... maybe one that you have been thinking about trading or selling, maybe one that is positively ugly, all worn and brassed with a split handle but that still shaves great. It is comforting to have your favorite personal items with you when traveling, so it is understandable that you might still want to take the risk, but remember the Samsonite Gorilla? He is in real life a baggage handler. So is Ali Baba and his 40,000 thieves. When you think about it, Slash's law doesn't even apply. Murphy covers the situation quite well, because the possibility obviously definitely DOES exist that your razor might come to grief.

So take a chance or don't take a chance. Up to you. Just remember should any harm befall your Red Tip that you could have risked a razor that would not have been so heartbreaking to lose or damage.

What would Slash do? He would pack a razor that he could shrug his shoulders about losing. Or, in the case of a DE, maybe carry the bladeless razor in carryon, and the blades in checked baggage. I use a straight but if I were a DE shaver that is what I might do.

My solution to traveling with a superspeed was to purchase a crappy Nanjie razor from the bay for $10, and use the case to protect my baby. I had to cut out only the bottom of the plastic head rest because the SS is a tad larger than a Nanjie head, but it fits like a glove, and the case is not prone to opening while being handled. In fact it is actually a little hard to get open, which I consider a good thing. There is a detachable mirror, a place for blades, and under the tray you can put your used blades, or, more new blades. I would not take this on a plane though. I just don't trust the baggage screeners enough. I do however take it on road trips...

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks!
I didn't realize my dilemma is shared by more than just me :ohmy:

Most shave forums have sevral threads asking about DE's and travel.

My advice: Do what you want, with the understanding of all that can happen.

You can travel with your razor in carry-on luggage...just make sure there is no blade in it. I picked up a cheap travel soap container and will put a DE and my C&E BBB in there. Just understand that the razor is easlity recognized on X-Ray going through securioty...some TSA types will want to look, some won't.

I got tired of this and went to a Tech that I dismantle when I travel...so far so good. But that's just me.

I like Montreal, BTW...especially downtown. I like that the shops stay open Thursday evenings...very nice. With a bit of luck I will be up there in a month or so.

I travel a lot and ausually place my carry on bladeless de razor in a 1 qt zip lock type bag which I put in the small basket they provide for pocket contents. This allows TSA quick access to it and keeps the flow of people moving. I will occasionally stuff it in a pair of socks inside a shoe in my checked luggage.

Safe travels.

Top Bottom