What's new

Vintage Blade Find...

I took my son to the area’s only real barber this weekend for a proper haircut. This guy Norm is OLD SCHOOL. I was out of blades without ordering more which meant I was gonna have to go get some merkurs from the knife store in the mall later. It occurred to me that since I was in a barbershop that Norm might have some razors. I asked and he said he had some that were really old but brand-new. He pulled out this old wooden box and sold me a couple of packs pretty cheap. I grabbed a pack of Doctors, these Purple ones and some that said “New Crescent” without much scrutiny. He said he hadn’t used them in years and wanted me to come back and tell him how they were.

I got home and opened up the Purples because they had the coolest name and a couple of cool slogans. “All Purrr and no Pull” Nice right? Wrong. Rusty. I could tell by the package once I opened it that the rest were the same. I never even bothered opening the Doctors because I could see a rust stain when I opened the package.

The Crescents, however, were clean and rust free and had a very cool design on the blade. I figured that I might be in luck and popped one open and into my modest Merkur 23c. I grabbed my kit and headed for the shower. I handled the pre-shave and got a good lather. I had a good two days of stubble which will usually give me an optimum shave for Monday morning. I started my first stroke on the back of my head and it felt like I was shaving with a shovel. The factory edge on My Strider knife would have done a better job. Since I didn’t have any other razors, I finished my head with a lot of painful passes but no blood since I think it was probably too dull to cut. I then subjected my face to one pass and pretty much looked the same after the shave as I did before.

I had hoped that I had found a sweet vintage blade honey pot but sometimes vintage just means old. At least I have some cool decorations if no actual useable blades.

I know, Pics or it didn’t happen.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

:confused1I wonder if the money back guarantee on the Purple blades is still in effect...:wink2::laugh:

Yeah I want my quarter back!!!

This is a great example of why you should always stay well stocked in all your favorite blades!

After 6 months of shaving with a DE I really haven't nailed down a favorite blade. I know that in my razor, Feathers turn my head and face into a bloody mess. The merkurs that I get at the knife store work just ok but I can get a week out of each one. I've trie some sample packs but didn't have enough of any one blade to get a good impression although I think I remember liking the Shark blades ok.

Last night I piked up a pack of blades from Walgreens that had a Walgreens label. They were made in the USA by American Safety Razor if I remember correctly. I was amazed by the close effortless shave. Easily the best shave that I have had for months. Like there wasn't a blade in the razor except for the swaths of baby butt smooth skin that was left behind. If I can get that consistancy throughout the pack, I may have found a winner!

Top Bottom