What's new

Less neck irritation, More longer neck stubble

I managed to finally reduce the irritation on my neck and both sides of the Adam's apple. This was accomplished by just shaving S-N with two passes. However, it is not nearly as close and the stubble is long enough to be irritated by a collar! What to do now? I'm afraid to try an N-S pass again! Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.:blink:

Chris is saying that you could go ACROSS the grain at any number of angles; the choice isn't simply between WITH the grain and AGAINST the grain.

I too would like to know the best technique to reduce and eliminate razor bumps and burn.

The best technique reduces and eliminates razor bumps and burn.

What 'best' is, is different for everyone. You can only start from the basics and go from there:

No pressure, consistent blade angle. Shave in whatever grain directions give you the most return, with the most comfort. It all comes with practice and experience.

What 'best' is, is different for everyone. You can only start from the basics and go from there:

No pressure, consistent blade angle. Shave in whatever grain directions give you the most return, with the most comfort. It all comes with practice and experience.

+1.

In addition you may want to try the superlather technique and add a few drops of glycerin or KY personal lubricant oil to the lather to assure a smooth, irritation-free shave. See http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=156022&highlight=uberlather

After I shave I soak my face in cold water and follow it with a splash of Thayers' Rose Petal witch hazel. Almost immediately I feel relief. After a few minutes I follow it up with Neutrogena Men Triple Protect Face Lotion, SPF 20.

Well said. Sometimes a new member finds frustration in double edge shaving due to the raves we give versus their results. Experience is the best teacher. To repeat what has already been said, time and technique reveals to each man what the best shaving technique is.

If a straight line pass is not shaving as close as expected and you do not want to shave against the grain try a pass at an angle. You need not go directly across the grain but there are many angles to try.

a few minor things that may help to to spend a lot of time lathering the neck with your brush.

This will really help get the hairs lifted.

Also try to experiment with different skin stretching. Change the tautness, angle, etc.

If you watch how barbers shave, they stretch and shave 1 inch at a time. Give that a try, as well as any other technique you can think of.

One of them is going to work for you.

Top Bottom