What's new

Deli in Chicago

I'm not sure if this post belongs here or in a different forum. None of them seemed to fit.

I'll be travelling to Chicago for work later this month, staying near Watertower Place. I'll have time for a few meals on my own. I'm looking for a good Jewish deli (Minneapolis doesn't have a good one). Any recommendations? Also, any Italian Beef places near there that you'd recommend? I know "Food Wars" did an Italian Beef challenge, but I don't know if the restaurants are located near where I'll be staying. The show had a competition between Al's Beef and Mr. Beef. I can't remember which one won.

Thanks.

-Dave

I would HIGHLY recommend you check out Lou Mitchell's for breakfast in Chicago. Took my family there and it was fantastic!

Also, go to Inteligentsia for coffee. It's amazing. Plus, Ann Sather's makes an awesome cinnamon roll.

I didn't hit up any deli's unfortunately. I would check out the food network website, truthfully.

I haven't actually been there, but the Ashkenaz Deli is supposed to be pretty good and is not far from where you are staying. I doubt it compares to the real ones in NYC though.

I always go to Mr. Beef off Ontario I believe. That is pretty close to watertower place, but probably a cab ride. Almost every place that sells italian beef in chicago does it justice, it is more the bread they have access too than the beef and juice. That can be exported to different cities, but they can't get the bread right.

I sympathize regarding Minneapolis. I suppose you have tried the place in south minneapolis off 42nd and 55 that has decent italian beef and chicago style hot dogs and such. I can't remember the name and I think it just changed in any case.

There is a newer jewish deli on 55 between 100 and 169, closer to 100. Its in the parking lot of the strip mall on the north side of 55 (olson memorial highway) where the used cd store 'down in the valley' is located. I am not much of a devotee of the jewish deli, but I have eaten there a few times and they seemed to be committed to the monstrous pastrami sandwich that you see in nyc.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Only being Jewish by adoption, I am not real familiar with your Kosher requirements. However, I recommend the following.

For street food I like Jim's Original Polish sausage in the area of the old Maxwell Street market (Google it). My wife and I just had a couple of the beef Polish tonight on our drive through the windy city.

There is a fantastic Italian deli in Little Italy called Carm's. Great prosciutto sandwich but definitely not Kosher.

Chicago is the food Mecca of the midwest. I am sure you will get a lot more suggestions than what you can fit into your schedule.

I always go to Mr. Beef off Ontario I believe. That is pretty close to watertower place, but probably a cab ride. Almost every place that sells italian beef in chicago does it justice, it is more the bread they have access too than the beef and juice. That can be exported to different cities, but they can't get the bread right.

I sympathize regarding Minneapolis. I suppose you have tried the place in south minneapolis off 42nd and 55 that has decent italian beef and chicago style hot dogs and such. I can't remember the name and I think it just changed in any case.

There is a newer jewish deli on 55 between 100 and 169, closer to 100. Its in the parking lot of the strip mall on the north side of 55 (olson memorial highway) where the used cd store 'down in the valley' is located. I am not much of a devotee of the jewish deli, but I have eaten there a few times and they seemed to be committed to the monstrous pastrami sandwich that you see in nyc.
The deli you are talking about is Mort's Deli. I've been there a few times and they do make a pretty damn good NYC size sandwich. The only issues I had was the price is a little steep and the first time I ate there the service was lousy but it was their first week open so I let it slide.

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, I'm not concerned about a place being Kosher. I just meant a Jewish deli as opposed to an Itailian, German, Polish, etc. one.

-Dave

Top Bottom