What's new

Ipad

I was thinking about getting one of these in place of a laptop for business and pleasure. Any thoughts?

I would like to use both art and business programs in addition to the internet. What are the advantages and limitations of the device?

Thanks gents.

Which programs are you planing on using? I ask because you will only be able to use programs, apps, which are sold via the itunes App store; unless you jailbreak you ipad.

You cannot load programs that you would normally install on your laptop on an ipad, unless there is a version specifically built for the ipad.

There in a version of iWork for the ipad available in the app store.

The ipad is nice for surfing the web, but Adobe Flash is not supported, so sites encoded in flash don't work.

Last edited:
I think for the price of an ipad you can buy a much more powerful laptop or tablet pc. I'm a fan of Apple products but I really don't see the point of the ipad.

Providing your uses are limited, it is the best thing since sliced bread! I use it for travel. I have found that I only use it to browse the web, check email, listen to music through my Bose headsets while riding as a passenger, and read books on it.

It will store pictures of my loved ones, provide me with a pdf reader and a reader/writer for documents and spreadsheets. It's all I need.

The interesting thing is that I have read more books through the iBooks app and the Kindle app than when I had to schlep hard bounds and paperbacks around! It's just more convenient and it saves space and weight, very important features when you are restricted to one carry on bag for my travels.

The best part about the ipad (and the reason why it paid for itself the first time I travelled with it), is that you don't have to pull it out of your bag and place it in a separate "tub" when getting the bag checked by TSA at the airport. As often as I go through security, this of itself is truly a God send!!

I too question whether this device will truly ever take its place as a "computer". Lets see, no flash support, no external media reader slot, no cam or web cam, , NO multitasking(no Pandora in the background whilst working) and have to buy and load apps only from Apple. No thanks. I do think these sorts of devices are here to stay. The closest thing I have seen to the iPad size wise is the Nook reader. It takes a sd micro card, has wifi and 3g built in (no costs for the 3g) and will read more than one format. I realise the iPad is a slightly different beast but at twice to three times the price? No thanks. My wife an I bought a HP mini netbook a couple of years ago and it is sufficing well for intended use. Light browsing, built in web cam for her business trips, tonnes of free apps for Windows XP, etc. No touch screen of course. If the ereader bunch gets a functioning full featured browsing experience added to their readers then at half the price, I think iPad may have an issue with sales. In the meantime, buy and like what you want!

Regards, Todd

We have rolled out about 12 of these at the place I work. These are just my thoughts on the iPad so take them with a glass of your favorite beverage. I enjoy using Apple's products, own a few of them.

First thingis knowing what it isn't. I explain to the people I hand them to that this is not a computer. Don't try to make it be one. It never will be. I go to great lengths to explain this detail.

What the iPad is:
While I have the added bonus and joy of working in IT and deploying enterprise solutions, the iPad is a device that lets my users access information quickly. By having to touch the screen they have to look and interact with their information. I notice that they are more conscious of the decisions they make with their calendars and email. Even while reading proposals or grants. The touching engages them. The fact that it is not a multitask devices forces them to pay attention to what they are doing.

the iPad is a great cloud computing device. We have a Citrix XenApp implementation at work and the iPad is a great tool to connect to it. Lets me users run Microsoft Office due to virtualization on their iPad for quick use for example.

As a sys admin I use it to do tasks while I am away from my computer. It has a good set of remote desktop clients available for it through the app store. I can assist people while I am out and about, set up san storage while sitting at Starbucks, handle creating new users while I am at their desk, list goes on. Could I do it with a laptop? Sure I could, iPad is just way less bulky.

iWorks, while handy, is a polite suggestion at an office suite. It isn't as nice as it's desktop counter part, but it gets the job done and is good for roughing out ideas. being able to touch the images, use your hands to manipulate them is kind of a fun way to do desktop publishing. I wouldn't try to put together an entire presentation for meeting this way though. But if you were on a plane and just needed to rough something together to then finish up later, not a bad way to go.

I have a few people who do research that have iPads as well. They take them out in the field. Record data, take notes, use an app to get information they need. One person in particular does safety inspections. So he has his decibel meter, a note taking app. Another writes grants, so they use it for reading NSF RFPs.

I could probably go on, but I think you get the idea. It can be a useful device, really depends on the app you find. If you can spring for the 3G I would suggest maybe getting it. The pay as you go data plan is kinda nice when traveling. To sum it up, for me I use it for quick access to information and the little tasks. So far, my users love them but none of them went into it expecting it to be a computer. I can share more if you guys like.

We have rolled out about 12 of these at the place I work. These are just my thoughts on the iPad so take them with a glass of your favorite beverage. I enjoy using Apple's products, own a few of them.

First thingis knowing what it isn't. I explain to the people I hand them to that this is not a computer. Don't try to make it be one. It never will be. I go to great lengths to explain this detail.

What the iPad is:
While I have the added bonus and joy of working in IT and deploying enterprise solutions, the iPad is a device that lets my users access information quickly. By having to touch the screen they have to look and interact with their information. I notice that they are more conscious of the decisions they make with their calendars and email. Even while reading proposals or grants. The touching engages them. The fact that it is not a multitask devices forces them to pay attention to what they are doing.

the iPad is a great cloud computing device. We have a Citrix XenApp implementation at work and the iPad is a great tool to connect to it. Lets me users run Microsoft Office due to virtualization on their iPad for quick use for example.

As a sys admin I use it to do tasks while I am away from my computer. It has a good set of remote desktop clients available for it through the app store. I can assist people while I am out and about, set up san storage while sitting at Starbucks, handle creating new users while I am at their desk, list goes on. Could I do it with a laptop? Sure I could, iPad is just way less bulky.

iWorks, while handy, is a polite suggestion at an office suite. It isn't as nice as it's desktop counter part, but it gets the job done and is good for roughing out ideas. being able to touch the images, use your hands to manipulate them is kind of a fun way to do desktop publishing. I wouldn't try to put together an entire presentation for meeting this way though. But if you were on a plane and just needed to rough something together to then finish up later, not a bad way to go.

I have a few people who do research that have iPads as well. They take them out in the field. Record data, take notes, use an app to get information they need. One person in particular does safety inspections. So he has his decibel meter, a note taking app. Another writes grants, so they use it for reading NSF RFPs.

I could probably go on, but I think you get the idea. It can be a useful device, really depends on the app you find. If you can spring for the 3G I would suggest maybe getting it. The pay as you go data plan is kinda nice when traveling. To sum it up, for me I use it for quick access to information and the little tasks. So far, my users love them but none of them went into it expecting it to be a computer. I can share more if you guys like.

So......should I buy one? :laugh:

I love mine, particularly when traveling. I hve the 3G version and signed for it before the current ATT restrictions.

So......should I buy one? :laugh:

hah yeah sure! Basically I think if you have a 'use' and can find the app that fits the use or write an app that fits a use then it is a fun device. I say 'use' rather than 'need'. No one 'needs' an iPad, but many WANT one :lol:

My wife, the writer in the house, uses it for books, periodicals, remotely connecting to web sites she manages and maintains. Little quick tasks that you don't want to get off the couch for while watching TV. She is like a cat that way, will lounge around and do things are her convenience.

I used the iPad to read B&B while sitting on the couch watching World Cup games.:thumbup:

Entertainment & utility device, not a computer. Love mine.

... the iPad is a great cloud computing device. We have a Citrix XenApp implementation at work and the iPad is a great tool to connect to it. Lets me users run Microsoft Office due to virtualization on their iPad for quick use for example. ...

Does this allow them to see Word/Excel/PowerPoint documents or can they also create and edit documents? Thanks!

I have an Ipad and basically use it as a toy. It is not a computer and to be set up, updated etc. it needs to be connected via USB to a real computer. It can not be used to connect to an iphone/ipod.

That being said it is fun to use.

Lou

Does this allow them to see Word/Excel/PowerPoint documents or can they also create and edit documents? Thanks!

It allows them to use Word/Excel/Powerpoint though the Citrix Receiver app. This means you can open up whatever document/spreadsheet/slideshow, connect it to whatever shares the user has rights to, edit the files and even print to network printers. It's a virtual environment that is just the application, not the entire desktop.

Citrix Xenapp is an infrastructure change. If you plan to go this route I would suggest doing a little research into it. This isn't something for the end consumer to really roll out. more info here: http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/product.asp?contentID=186&ntref=prod_top. I am not really trying to push a Citrix product, I don't get anything from them so these are just my experiences, perhaps there are better for this level of product. I think they got a pretty slick implementation. Enterprise wise, this goes beyond the iPad and gives you a way of doing app streaming to clients while keeping data in your server room and not out in the wild.

Now for just viewing and doing minor edit I use and have some people use something like GoodReader or Documents-To-Go. Documents-To-Go will connect to Sharepoint libraries and Google Docs if I recal, which is kind of handy. An app that connects to some kind of storage is handy to have, something like DropBox or if you are using MobileMe.

really feel like we are getting our geek on here...

Last edited:
I have a 32GB 3G model and got it the day it was released.

Since, my laptop has been snoozing at home 95% of the time. I've been thinking about selling the laptop, even.

The iPad is wonderful for many reasons. First, I'm out of the house constantly. I mostly go there to sleep. Having 3G coverage is astounding. The laptop was always a struggle to find WiFi and then it often wasn't free. 3G lets me get online anywhere in LA.

Second, it weighs hardly anything. When I pack the laptop, I know it. The iPad is almost an afterthought. So while I was reluctant to take the laptop, the iPad is no bother. Also, the battery life is about twice what the laptop has.

Two accessories I find necessary are the Apple case and the Bluetooth keyboard. The case can prop it up at a decent angle and the keyboard lets you cut loose when you need to type. You won't notice it until you try one, but gestures plus keyboard lets you scream through the web. I can browse much faster than with a mouse and it's very intuitive. You never have to reach for a scroll wheel or move a cursor around - this is far more natural.

I find the apps handy. The iWork suite is lightweight, but on the other hand, I almost never use the full feature set in Word or Excel. This is a good tool to be productive and clean things up later.

The lack of Flash is more of a benefit than anything. You won't get hideously annoying ads. Besides, stuff like hovering a cursor over something wouldn't work because there isn't a cursor. I don't find it limiting with what I do on the Internet. Besides, I have browser extensions on my latop that kill 99% of annoying Flash stuff anyway, so I don't notice a difference.

The iPad is great as a media device. If you have a Mac, you can use the iPad as a big remote control. I'm not yet set up for this, but I will be soon. It's also a good music player and fun to download books and Netflix videos on.

As for the other perceived shortcomings, remember that a substantial OS update is coming this fall. Obviously, it will add functionality beyond iOS 4.0 on the iPhone. If it didn't, then iOS 4.0 would already be running on the iPad. My guess is that it'll do everything the iPhone does, but might also add more of a filesystem and perhaps support for external drives.

Anyhow, the iPad is a very good product that lets me go online anywhere I want. I use it for several hours each day.

I own a 32 GB non-3G iPad, and have had it since less than a week after they were released. I couldn't justify the extra fee for the 3G when I have access to an iPhone when I'm out of WiFi range. I love my iPad, but there are some things that I would REALLY suggest that you consider before purchase.

I concur with all that has been said here. The iPad is not a laptop-killer. It is not a replacement computer. CAn it do some of the things that a computer does? More or less. However, it shines in the realm of media consumption, but you need to have a computer and iTunes to manage music and video libraries.

With the iWork apps ($10.00 each for Pages, Numbers and Keynote), you can do basic stuff with documents. You won't be formatting a Master's thesis, but you can use it to review and make basic editing to text docs, spreadsheets and presentations, either in native Apple or in Microsoft format. Also, as I understand, there are plans to put PDF reading support into PAges soon.

the iBooks app lets you download many currently-published books from the Apple bookstore, or you can upload ePub formatted books/documents.

From a certain perspective, the iPad is more of a chimera-appliance. It does a lot of things, and some of them rather well. The rest, it does passably well. I am a student with Univ. of Phoenix Online, so all of my school texts are in PDF format. I use my iPad to read my material, and (occasionally) to create my text-document assignments. Why only occasionally? Pages for iPad doesn't have a word-count. :D

I love my iPad and look forward to getting an iPhone when my cell contract is up. I'm also REALLY looking forward to getting multitasking on iPAd when OS 4 comes this Fall. Pandora in the background FTW!

If you're looking at it as something to surf the web on, listen to some music and watch a few video's then they are great. If you want to replace a laptop with it, then don't get one.

My wife was after an iPad recently but when I asked her about what she wanted to use it for, a laptop made alot more sense so I got her an Asus T91MT which is a small (8.9") tablet laptop. It runs Windows 7 so you can do all the pinch, drag and flicks to resize and close things.

proxy.php

I'll be getting rid of my old home laptop in the not too distant future and as 90% is it's use is surfing the web then I'll certainly look at an iPad.

Top Bottom