What's new

So I'll be in NYC in a couple of weeks...

...and I was thinking this might be a good opportunity to pop into a couple of places and try out a few colognes. I've never been much of a cologne wearer, but I think it's because I've never been around any good colognes.

So I thought I'd definitely pop into the Penhaligon's while I'm there. Do you guys have any other recommendations? I don't plan to take up a whole lot of time doing this - my primary reason for going out there is to visit a very cute friend of mine - but I might be able to spare a few hours.

I'd visit Cambridge Chemists and Barneys while you're uptown. Last time I went to Cambridge they were out of No. 88, but were awaiting shipment, though they had a tester. They also carry Taylor, Santa Maria Novella, Harris, Trumper and others, if I'm not mistaken. It's by the corner of 65th and Madison. Also, Floris is on Madison between 62nd and 63rd , though that store may be closed by now. If it isn't, then you've got an opportunity to get some great deals on Floris stuff.

The Floris shop is fairly empty of mens product. They have been cutting prices so you might find something interesting. Don't keep your hopes up though.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Penhaligon's has one of the smallest shops imaginable, but it's adorable.

What luck - not being a native I have to look all this stuff up on maps before I leave. Hermes, Penhaligon's, Floris, and Cambridge Chemists are all fairly close together (assuming Floris is still there). Someone mentioned Le Labo in another thread, but that's all the way down by Chinatown - I probably won't have much reason to go down there, although I might pop down there just for fun.

I believe Barney's carries Le Labo (thought I read that somewhere). If I was spending that kind of money I would want to make it down to their store.

Yeah, given the option I usually prefer to go to a company's own store rather than a re-seller. If nothing else it guarantees the people working there have the best information.

ouch

If you want, I'm sure that some of our NYC members would volunteer to keep your cute friend entertained while you go shopping.

We're always looking to help each other out. :lol:

If you want, I'm sure that some of our NYC members would volunteer to keep your cute friend entertained while you go shopping.

We're always looking to help each other out. :lol:

Heh. I'm sure they would. :biggrin: She's in grad school up there, and her spring break was last week, so she'll be busy in the mornings anyway. About the only "sight" I haven't already seen in NYC is where the World Trade Center used to be (although I remember standing at the bottom of one tower and looking straight up when I was 8) - I'll probably hop down there one of the mornings I'm out there, too.

ouch

Heh. I'm sure they would. :biggrin: She's in grad school up there, and her spring break was last week, so she'll be busy in the mornings anyway. About the only "sight" I haven't already seen in NYC is where the World Trade Center used to be (although I remember standing at the bottom of one tower and looking straight up when I was 8) - I'll probably hop down there one of the mornings I'm out there, too.

It's worth going to see it, but it's very depressing.

M

modern man

Midtown or Katz Deli,:drool:

No EDC needed, just have a few sam-itches and you will smell great for days :biggrin:

I don't doubt that. But I think it's something I ought to make time to see.

Go see it. It is something that everyone should see. I also recommend that you go and eat at a few places unique to NYC. Tell me what you like and I will recommend something for you to try. Say hello to my brother in law while there at the WTC; he's the noob Port Authority police officer trying not to look like he is a noob:tongue:

Here's a Fifth Avenue itinerary you may want to consider if you have a few hours to look at colognes without leaving one street:

1. Saks Fifth Ave, at 49th St., 7th floor-- very nice stuff including Caron's including the highly regarded Third Man, Creeds, a lot of other things.

2. Takasymaya:53-54, 7th floor, I believe, top floor anyway: for more niche fragrances like Detaille Par Four and Aeroplane; and again other great things like Santa Maria Novella.

3. Bergdorf's at 58th, first floor, lots of interesting things from Aramis to my favorites from D'Orsay of France.

4. Finally Barnesys at 61-61 again, first floor, 61st entrance; again a great selection of things. They carry LeLabo, but only in the 100ml size for a steep $180. The LeLabo store carries a variety of sizes, see their website.

Forget Floris, it's over. Sadly.

That's it.

Have fun! Reply if you have questions.

Joe

I'll probably hop down there one of the mornings I'm out there, too.
If you do, consider stopping into St. Paul's, directly opposite the site. From the first days following the attack and for months afterwards, the chapel served as a relief station for workers and rescue personnel. A small but moving collection of photos, relics, and tributes are still on display there.

3. Bergdorf's at 58th, first floor, lots of interesting things from Aramis to my favorites from D'Orsay of France.

Agreed ! Careful of the saucy sales girls though.

If I were going only one place, Bergdorf would be the one and Clive Christian X would be my choice. X is like positive karma in a bodella.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys - I am now back in Oklahoma. So I wound up not having quite as much free time as I thought - which is ok, since less free time = more time with the aforementioned cute friend. :wink:

Anyway, I made it over to Penhaligon's shop, where I apparently narrowly missed meeting Tim Robbins when he popped in to pick up a bottle of Blenheim. the very nice lady working at the time (her name escapes me right now) told me virtually the entire history of the company and let me smell the entire line. Of course then she said "oh, and don't decide now, here, take some samples now and we'll send you a catalog later." I am thoroughly loaded down with samples now. :biggrin: As far as first impressions, I really lean toward the Blenheim, though I'll give the others another few chances to impress.

Also, by pure luck I stumbled across the L'Occitane shop - my friend actually lives right around the corner from it. So I hopped in there while it was a bit rainy and Sophia (the poor girl looked bored out of her mind) showed me around the whole shop. I wound up leaving with one of the shave soaps in the covered metal bowl and a bottle of the Eau de Badian - it doesn't last especially long on me, only a few hours, but it's a nice exotic change-of-pace scent. Plus, it seems to sit well with the young attractive female crowd.

And that was my trip to NYC. (I'll omit the parts about the Met, the eating, and the drinking. :wink: )

Anyway, I made it over to Penhaligon's shop, where I apparently narrowly missed meeting Tim Robbins when he popped in to pick up a bottle of Blenheim. the very nice lady working at the time (her name escapes me right now) told me virtually the entire history of the company and let me smell the entire line. Of course then she said "oh, and don't decide now, here, take some samples now and we'll send you a catalog later." I am thoroughly loaded down with samples now. :biggrin: As far as first impressions, I really lean toward the Blenheim, though I'll give the others another few chances to impress.

That had to be Mary Anna. Meet her yesterday for the first time. Great lady and I came home with a bottle of Opus 1870.

Top Bottom