What's new

Practice with a newspaper strop

While on an afternoon walk downtown the other day I went past a barbershop my grandfather used to frequent. I entered and started a conversation with the 2 barbers that were there about razors and straights in particular. The older barber asked if I had a few minutes and took me to a nursing home where two elderly barbers resided. They were very interesting to listen to being in there eighties and early nineties. They spoke of Barbers school in Milwaukee and Chicago, practice, and apprenticeship. They thought it was fantastic that there were still people practicing this art of shaving and they lit right up when given the opportunity to speak of it. A very interesting hour to say the least.

A most wonderful experience I will never forget.

What caught my attention was they spoke of learning to strop on a paper strop for a number of weeks to develop technique, pressure, and until they no longer tore or cut the paper. Both admitted that they still slightly nicked or scared a strop.) They would also make them for their apprentice barbers.

My question is have you practiced using a paper strop?

This sounds like that great scene from Kung Fu where they make the Shaolin Grasshopper walk on rice paper until he can do so silently.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I haven't, but it sounds like a great learning tool. It might even be reasonably effective!

But the main reason I am replying is to say that while you found the nursing home visit interesting, the two old guys you visited probably enjoyed it even more. You made their day, I am sure.

What a great experience. I have also heard of practicing on paper for a little while.
In fact, you can actually use newspaper to strop you razor. It takes a little effort but it will get the job done.

There's a fellow that frequents my shop and that's all he uses.

But the main reason I am replying is to say that while you found the nursing home visit interesting, the two old guys you visited probably enjoyed it even more. You made their day, I am sure.

It was probably a good boost to their self confidence to know that someone would actually want to talk to them, and value their lifetime of experience. :tongue_sm

Too often nursing homes are a place where people are sent away, have little contact with the outside world, and are just basically left to die. Out of sight, out of mind.

On the whole Americans are very dis-respectful to the elderly. :mad3:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I used newspaper at first as I didn't have a strop. It worked but not as good as Leather.

In this case, I think that yes, it gave me an idea on how to strop. I nicked the hell out of my strop but didn't lately (> 1 month) - touching wood...

I've been practicing on newspaper for the last week. I picked up the tip from an old post by mparker762.

Could you detail the steps? Do you fold the paper to about the size of a strop? Do you lay it on a table? I like the idea of being able to practice on paper - I imagine it would be a good way to build some confidence without ruining a strop.

Could you detail the steps? Do you fold the paper to about the size of a strop? Do you lay it on a table? I like the idea of being able to practice on paper - I imagine it would be a good way to build some confidence without ruining a strop.

I am by no means an expert, but it seems to me the best results would be from mounting/ wrapping the paper around a piece of balsa wood, thus giving you a firm surface to strop on. You would then hold the strop in you hand, or on your leg, and strop away. :tongue_sm

Don't know if it's right or not, but I folded three sheets of newspaper together in the shape of a hanging strop and then clamped the top into my bike repair stand. Instant hanging news-strop :thumbup:

I've also read (mparker???) that wrapping the newspaper over the spine of a hardcover book is a good setup. Haven't tried it but makes sense to me.

...Ray

I'll also add that it was very nice of you to visit with the old barbers. I've seen the elderly withering away in con homes. It's a sad sight. Good on you!

Last edited:
I was under the impression it was fashioned like a regular strop. He said, it would teach you proper stropping technique and pressure, while he was making a stropping movement with his hand.

I used a newspaper strop, based on LarryAndro's suggestion, until I bought myself a Filly strop. I didn't have any issues with the paper strop, but I didn't do so well with the Filly. Glad it was cheap!

I take newspaper and wrap it tight around a 2x4 and staple it. Then strop on that for finishing a nice edge. You can get a pretty sweet edge off of newspaper if you have some patience. I don't remember what micron equivalent newspaper is, but it's enough to put a nice finish on a blade. I know it sounds ghetto, but works quite well.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
That actually sounds like a good option for a newbie who wants to buy a shave-ready GD or something and not commit to further expenditures until he has a few shaves under his belt. Plus it avoids the whole "noob ruined his new $50 strop" issue. Well, maybe not a GOOD option, but a workable one.

Top Bottom