What's new

Having Trouble Shaving the Neck. Please HELP!

Hello Hero's,
I need help shaving my neck. My neck hairs are directioned from west to east. I always seem to have trouble shaving the neck area and getting it truley smooth and cleaned up. Any suggestions. I was thinking of shaving east to west and seeing if that helps, however I am scared of cutting myself because of a HUGE ADAMS APPLE that i've been blessed with.

Please help me with any advice you have so that I can feel clean and accomplished after my shaves.

P.S. I'm Indian, so the beard and neck hair are extremely thick, coarse and rough. And I'm using a DE with C.O Bigelow. If you think I should change my cream, let me know what I should choose.

My neck is a problem area as well. I really don't bother shaving with the grain on mine (N-S). Since I started using olive oil to shave with I haven't had issues with skin irritation. The best neck shave I get is with an injector razor (Shave ATG then XTG near jawline). Hopefully someone can help you out with recommendations for blades and techniques with a DE.

I read a technique about holding a swallow (act like your swallowing and hold it) to shave the adam's apple area....it's supposed to help flatten it out.

Hello Hero's,
I'm using a DE with C.O Bigelow. If you think I should change my cream, let me know what I should choose.

Stick with the Proraso...but add a super lather to it :lol:

I don't know much about technique, all I know is what works for me and I'm unsure on how well that works but I found my zen of cream. Kiss My Face- Cool Mint! It's a moisture shave.. I find it to be comfortable. So my Proraso plus a squirt of KMF I have a comfortable shave...

Now, all you need to worry about is the technique :thumbup:

Neck has always been a problem for me. Found out in boot camp (navy) that the best way for me to shave my neck was from south to north. Up instead of down. But I have since found that using buffing technique angling NW or NE depending on the side of my neck works really well. Also stretching the skin like you would with a straight also helps.

Lots of us have had problems shaving the neck area- I would suggest that it is your technique rather than your gear that you need to improve. Short strokes and be very conscious of the direction of growth because neck hair tends to have really wild patterns. Don't be afraid to make a few passes but take your time and don't expect perfect results straight away- it takes a little while to learn.
Swallowing and holding your breath is a good way to flatten your Adam's Apple while you shave that area.

Same here with the neck. I find it too hard to go E-W and so just go up and down. It's mostly XTG, but if your neck can take it, with a light touch, it's worth a go.

Neck has always been a problem for me. Found out in boot camp (navy) that the best way for me to shave my neck was from south to north. Up instead of down. But I have since found that using buffing technique angling NW or NE depending on the side of my neck works really well. Also stretching the skin like you would with a straight also helps.

Buffing a J hooking help me. Also make sure of your blade angle.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Stretch the skin a bit of make a flat surface.

Where are you located? Supplies varies from a place to another... Unless buying online isn't a problem.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I am now almost one year into it, and the neck is tricky. I am only now getting true BBS on my neck. The hair grows in mismatched directions, and it is super easy to cut yourself. My recommendation: keep at it. If you start bleeding you're doing something wrong. You will figure out how to get BBS ; it just takes time.

I agree with the other threads here that refer to blade angle and directional adjustments. Over the years, I've made numerous "breakthroughs" where I've found ways to shave my neck better and all of them have had to do with blade angle and direction.

What's working for me these days (I'm a thin guy with a pronounced adams apple and a long neck. Also, I cut easily):

I shave the flat area just under the jawbone in a downward direction to maybe 1/2" - 3/4" down from the jawbone. I then stop, and shave from about 1/2" off center of the neck out to the sides of my neck to get that 'grooved' area. I do this on both sides of my neck. Then, I complete the downward strokes to about 1/4" above my adams apple. I then reverse shave with upward strokes for the remaining area (1/4" above the adams apple down to the base of the neck). I avoid the adams apple completely at first, then as a final step, pull the skin to the left, shave upward, then pull the skin to the right, shave upward, and the adams apple area is clean.

This is my face, of course, not yours, but just to give you an idea that on the neck, you have to be creative based on your anatomy.

FYI: I use C&E Nomad cream, the calming element of which I find to be amazing. But buyer beware, I have to use more of it than other creams to get adequate facial coverage.

Last edited:
You sound like a perfect candidate for a couple of drops of pre-shave oil. Let the oil sit for a full minute before lathering over the top. This will really soften up those pesky neck hair, making it a lot easier to mow them down.

The neck is one of my finicky areas. Looks to be a good many folks more troublesome spots as well. Best advice I can off is go slow, and pay particular attention to angle and growth direction.

I never had problems until now, Its a hell of a coincidence. I been thinking about it and I thought it could be the heat spell we are having in western NY. Its been hot muggy and consistent for 3 weeks now. Its got to be that, because my neck feels like someone put a belt sander to it. Sticky as fly paper. My earlier post said, Im going to give my face a break for a couple days.

For me my neck was trial and error, taking it easy and eventually I got a good feel for mine and can get a much better shave on my neck than I used to.

I guess I'm a freak show, but all the "Pull the skin tight" advice ran my shaves into the ground. I've learned that I'm much better off tucking my chin just a tad to loosen my skin up just a little when I shave my neck area.

Top Bottom