What's new

DE Razor Blade disposal?

R

rodeo

How do you dispose of your used razor blades?

I was thinking of collecting them is some sort of small protective container, sort of like a "sharps container" for needles in hospitals or ambulances, only much smaller, home made even.

Just wondering what everybody else does with their used blades?

I myself use the back slot on then razor blade package and then I put it in a small metal box standing in my bathroom cabinet. I bet that allot of people will show you pictures of their wonderful devices and contraptions. :001_rolle

All of my used blades go in an Altoids tin that I store on top of the medicine cabinet. When I empty another Altoids tin I start putting blades in it and take the one with blades and flatten it with a sledgehammer and put it in the recycle bin.

Any kind of old tin makes good used blade banks as do small vegetable cans. I've used band-aid tins, mushroom cans, tomato paste cans, tobacco tins. Cut a slit in the top of the lid, super glue the lids shut or back on and you're good to go.

Mine is a bottle that used to contain black pepper.
Great, came with a handy lid already.

No rocket science here ;-)

Get a medicine cabinet with a razor disposal slit in it. Put the used blades in the slot. They fall down between the wall studs. That is a drop of about five feet, in a space 14 inches by three inches. When you can't put any more blades in the slot, it is time to move.

No, really. Mine is clear, so I can see the blades. The slot in the top is perfect for adding them; I taped the bottom access plug in place, to avoid accidental opening. When it's full, which will be awhile, I'll take it to the hospital and have it disposed of with the needles as biohazard waste.

Related question: does anyone know the melting point of the steel in DE blades? Another way to dispose of them could be to melt them into a harmless blob. Just a thought.

That’s the way to handle used blades. Just hope that you do not have to remodel the bathroom. Opening a wall cavity and having razor blades falling out would be a surprise:w00t:.

<snip>
Related question: does anyone know the melting point of the steel in DE blades? Another way to dispose of them could be to melt them into a harmless blob. Just a thought.

That is a good question. A hot charcoal fire may melt the steel alloy in DE blades. You could try putting used DE blades in the coals when building up the charcoal for grilling. There is some variation in temperature of various charcoal fires, and some variation in the melting point of steel alloys. Blades are thin, so whatever happens should not take long after the charcoal is fully hot.

I use a sharps box. I bought it for $1 at the flea market, and it will hold more blades than I think I could use in my life. If I ever fill it, I'll just bring it to the hospital. No need to empty it into another container or worry about the blades sticking together and needing to dig them out. I use another sharps container for my sewing machine needles and utility/exacto knife blades.

I put mine in an empty beer can that I keep in my medicine cabinet. When it gets close to full I will put the whole thing in recycle container.

That is a good question. A hot charcoal fire may melt the steel alloy in DE blades. You could try putting used DE blades in the coals when building up the charcoal for grilling. There is some variation in temperature of various charcoal fires, and some variation in the melting point of steel alloys. Blades are thin, so whatever happens should not take long after the charcoal is fully hot.

If you're getting a charcoal fire that hot, I want nowhere near it. Melting point for steel is roughly 2500F. Detemper it, sure- that's around 350-400. Anneal it, even- that's around 650F. You'll not melt it, though.

How do you dispose of your used razor blades?

I was thinking of collecting them is some sort of small protective container, sort of like a "sharps container" for needles in hospitals or ambulances, only much smaller, home made even.

Just wondering what everybody else does with their used blades?

I just use a tin can with a lid on it from "General Foods International" mocha mix. When it fills up which takes forever and then some you just toss it, glue it down if you're that paranoid about it.

No, really. Mine is clear, so I can see the blades. The slot in the top is perfect for adding them; I taped the bottom access plug in place, to avoid accidental opening. When it's full, which will be awhile, I'll take it to the hospital and have it disposed of with the needles as biohazard waste.

Stainless steel melts at around 2550 degrees Fahrenheit.
Rather higher them most heat sources found in the home unless you've got a oxy acetylene torch lying around.

I picked up a blade bank for $1 or $2 at WCS. Works great and it'll probably take a couple of years to fill it up. Piggyback one on your next order.

Top Bottom